1939 Shower Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

dekohman

Reaction score
I have a house built in 1939. The bathtub has a separate control for hot and cold water, and another control (centered) to direct the water flow to the shower or tub spout. The two water control knobs are 11" O.C....and I want to replace them without disrupting the current vintage ceramic tile in the tub/shower. I have full access to the back of the tub/shower via a closet. I'm looking for replacement hardware that is 11" O.C., but so far I'm only finding standard 8" O.C. materials. Does anyone know of a source for materials that measure up to "the old stuff" or have I just not looked hard enough yet?

Not sure that's totally clear...but I hope someone can make sense of my questions. Thanks for the advice!

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found there is a "Sterling" 11" spread tub/shw faucet. It is a nice faucet too.

Don't know were you are but i would do a web search for this faucet.

good luck

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
You could try going to Gopher Plumbing (Selby & Dunlap) in St Paul. They have lots of oddities.

I have in the past gotten 11" faucets from Goodin Co, I believe the brand was 'Sign of the Crab', pretty $$ but a quality faucet. Goodin is wholesale only, so you need to go through a plumber.

Another chance would be to check with Frank's Plbg on Washington north of the dome. He knows what he wants for stuff.

dekohman

Reaction score
Thanks Dubldare! I appreciate the local lead. Someone had told me about Frank's. I was also told to check out "Park Supply" but haven't gotten that far. I'm not surprised at all that it will be $$...seems to be my luck!

Thanks again!

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
you have a lot more choices than just whatever 11" you can find.
i too am replacing vintage stuff. here's what i've found:
- some 3 handle shower/tub kits are not a fixed-width solid body. i just looked at one at Rejuvenation that allowed you to unscrew the hot/cold valves so that you could adjust the spread. don't remember the brand but it's a high-end store.
- i've also seen kits in which the pieces can also be purchased a la carte. so you could buy the valves and diverter individually, even without the trim if you'd like to try to reuse your vintage escutcheon and handles.
go to your local high-end store and they'll have the catalogs from many manufacturers.

i'm told that here in Portland code requires some type of anti-scald for a shower. some of the 3-handle kits don't have this built into the body. they too can be purchased individually at a good plumbing/bath store. a Delta thermostatic diverter lists for $152, no trim.
you can get a pressure balance valve for about $100.