Search results

1. Margarett

WH back drafts when the furnace is on at the same time

@WorthFlorida: Thank you. It is a vent damper. I have the paperwork on that. The model# is MI-04-SPRK-WPC.
  2. Margarett

Thanks for the responses. The photos must not be very good, because there definitely is a slope. As far as all the piping needing to get warmed up to get a draft going: It must have been warm because the HW had been on for quite a while alone (for 2 showers worth) and then very soon afterwards...
  3. Margarett

Sorry for the long post, but I don’t want to leave anything important out. Over the weekend, I noticed that our hot water heater back drafts when the furnace is on at the same time. They both vent together to the chimney. Please see attached pictures. The WH (40 gallon – 40,000BTU input) is 4...
  4. Margarett

Frequent and extended gurgling in our powder room sink

A plumber came and snaked past the point where the kitchen sink and powder room sink drains meet and connect to the 4" cast iron pipe. We wanted him to go thru the powder room sink because that hasn't been snaked in the 25 years we've lived in the house as opposed to the kitchen which was snaked...
  5. Margarett

Thanks for all your responses. I want to be sure that I understand correctly. When you say, "But it is probably soft enough that a small snake can push right thru" do you mean that a small snake would not be effective because the material would still be hanging around inside the pipe even after...
  6. Margarett

Well yes. I had thought the water at the very least had to be hot. And I guess I'm more wondering how the blockage forms again when I am extremely careful with what goes down that sink: no fat or grease or anything but the smallest food particles. I have a very fine strainer in the sink.
  7. Margarett

Thanks. But how does the big flood down the kitchen drain open up part of the partial blockage? The temporary fix can last for weeks before it slowly gets bad again.
  8. Margarett

Thank you for your post. I would expect the CI is original. Several years ago, we were experiencing gurgling in our 2nd floor sink when the toilet was flushed when it got less than 15 degrees outside (thankfully not a too common occurrence where I live!). A plumber went on the roof to send a...
  9. Margarett

Thank you. Yes I understand. I just thought that perhaps the fact that it does to that could be a clue as to what is causing the problem.
  10. Margarett

Okay. Thank you. So there is no way to look down the pop up assembly to determine how high the water level is?
  11. Margarett

Can anyone think of why quickly emptying gallons of water down the kitchen sink makes a temporary fix to my problem?
  12. Margarett

Thank you. Can you give more specific advice?
  13. Margarett

I'm afraid that I really do not understand your 2nd suggestion. Could you possibly explain the purpose of doing this?
  14. Margarett

How much of an imbalance is a problem and does it matter which side has more water and which less--it should be the same amount? And if there is an imbalance you need an aav?
  15. Margarett

I see. I can see that helping if I thought I had a clog in the trap itself, but if I do have a clog, it would be considerably further down the drain line.
  16. Margarett

Thank you for taking the time to write all these instructions. You said, "there are some semi-transparent traps that you could put in temporarily to watch what happens." What exactly am I looking for? I do remove my drain stopper once in while to see if there is water in the trap and there...
  17. Margarett

1. You suggest the AAV for the powder room sink? The plumber's tech who came out blamed the kitchen sink and said to put it on there. He made it sound like a temporary fix so I was happy when things were soundless! for a while. 2. The main drain stack (outlined in green) vents out through the...
  18. Margarett

Thank you. The first plumber had suggested putting an AAV on the kitchen sink after our first call to him over a year ago, but as I wrote above, we didnt pursue it because somehow quickly draining gallons of water down the sink stopped the gurgling. But it was only a respite from it. But I'm...
  19. Margarett

Two weeks ago when we emptied the kitchen sink of the 5 gallons of water, it made tremendously loud sounds in the powder room sink for the first 10 seconds as the water was draining out. I actually thought it was coming from the kitchen sink (I was standing by it) but my husband said it was the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks