Search results

1. Opifex

Toto New Drake - CST746CSMFG. Gradual leak w/extra thick wax ring

I installed the Toto two-piece Drake (this one, I think) this past summer and after a few months it started leaking at the bottom. I had a plumber come take a look, and he installed an extra thick wax ring and said that was most likely the problem, but that if it continued to leak the problem is...
  2. Opifex

Plumbing P-traps for double vanity

Hello, it's been a while. The bathroom remodel is a slooow go, but I just successfully installed my new Toto toilet, the New Drake (btw, not a huge fan because of the low-water level in the bowl). For my next and final trick, I've got the double vanity (rough plumbing pictured below). I need to...
  3. Opifex

Installing Freestanding vanity & sealing floor to wall

Hello. I'm installing a freestanding vanity against the wall pictured below. The wall is 62 1/2" and the vanity measures 60" so there will be a small gap on both sides, which I'm okay with. As you can see from the picture, I installed a vinyl floating floor, and I'm trying to figure out how I...
  4. Opifex

Please help! How to remove soldered toilet flange

I was trying to remove one of the fixed closet bolts, when it broke off. I've used PB Blaster and it still won't budge. Argh. My toilet flange is soldered into place, but it also looks like the solder has filled a fairly substantial gap between the flange and the iron pipe. How the heck do I get...
  5. Opifex

A newbie and his toilet flange - look okay?

Good morning. I'm remodeling our bathroom and wanted to show you all my cast iron toilet flange, to see if I should be wary of anything before I nail down the new subfloor. I'm installing vinyl plank for the finished floor. My plan is to leave the old flange in, and buy one of those flanges that...
  6. Opifex

How to test for leaks in this situation

Hello all. As you can see from the picture below, I installed some new Pex plumbing for a double vanity. I only have the hot water line finished at the moment. I can see the water filling the tubing and moving past some of the fittings, so I've confirmed there are no leaks thus far. But the...
  7. Opifex

Lennox 90% Furnace - Please help troubleshoot

I have a Lennox high-efficiency furnace that is operating fine with the fan set to "Auto" on the thermostat, but if I set the fan to "On" then the low-pressure switch always fails to close (Code E227) and the furnace will not fire up. Please advise. Thanks, Y.R.
  8. Opifex

Going from 1/2" galv to 3/4" Pex (A)

So this is partly a theoretical question: 3/4" pex is the equivalent of 1/2" galvanized (I.D.). So if a person wants to upgrade his old galvanized water lines, as I'm currently doing, an adapter must be installed. I happen to be using Uponor Pex-A, and for whatever reason they don't make a brass...
  9. Opifex

Question about water pressure & upgrading lines to 3/4"

I currently have 1/2" water lines in my crawl space. There are two main trunks which feed everything else. If I installed a threaded adapter off of the lines and upgraded to 3/4" pex, would my water flow/pressure improve, or would it stay the same because the water is still exiting from a 1/2" line?
  10. Opifex

Help! Something's up with water heater

So I was down in the crawl space upgrading some galvanized pipe to Pex. The water is turned OFF at the main. But as soon as I cut into the hot water line, a lot of water started coming out. I had to buy a galvanized plug to stop the flow. Do I have to drain my entire water heater before proceeding?
  11. Opifex

Newbie cutting PEX-A (help!)

Two questions: 1. I'm using a regular ratchet style PVC tubing cutter I bought a while ago. It cut the PEX just fine, but is it mission critical that I buy a "PEX rated" tubing cutter? 2. Does the cut have to be EXACTLY straight? Is there a tool you'd recommend that would make the cutting...
  12. Opifex

What tool to use? Low-clearance galvanized pipes in crawl space

I'm upgrading my house plumbing this weekend to PEX and could use some advice on how to unfasten the old galvanized pipe from the fitting, given the low clearance as shown below. It seems to me a traditional pipe wrench won't work in this situation. I'm upgrading the pipe not all at once, so my...
  13. Opifex

Up to Code? Stub-out installed above electrical box

Hello. I noticed that my plumber installed a new copper stub out directly over an electrical box. I understand that building codes differ by state (I'm in Oregon), but this just struck me as a no-brainer. What do you all think? Should I ask the plumber to fix it?
  14. Opifex

First Post! Help: My newly installed tub drains slow

Howdy All, So I had a new bathtub professionally installed not long ago, and it's draining unreasonably slow, even with the push plunger removed completely. I suspect installation error, but I haven't tried drano yet. I will take a few pictures and post them in a day or two. Also, if the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks