Search results

1. orf

What size heating pipe?

I'm extending the back of my house out 14 feet (the current room is 12x23 and has 3 registers) it's a one-story open concept house. I need to disconnect two of the original three registers and 4" pipes. Can I simply add a few extra lengths 4" pipe or do I have to use a larger diameter pipe...
  2. orf

3 way switch wiring problem

I have 4 wires going into the box that had a fixture that was controlled by a three way switch. Two are clearly white and black and when I test them I get 120 volts. Two are so old that they both look black. So I took a guess and connected what I thought was the white with the definitely white...
  3. orf

Wet drain layout

Will this work for a wet drain? I plan on using an air admittance valve on the sink. All pipes will be 2" pvc and the main line will be 3" pvc, thanks.
  4. orf

Can I splice the wire going to a low voltage LED under cabinet light?

I'm going to install low voltage under cabinet LED strip lights. I don't want to simply plug the transformer in an outlet but instead, I want to run the transformer to a switched outlet in the basement. I believe that the wire will only be carrying 12 volts dc once it leaves the transformer...
  5. orf

GFI on old BX cable

I want to replace and old ungrounded outlet with a GFI outlet. The box is metal and it also contains a switch, the box is not bonded, the cable is BX. Can I simply install the GFI or do I have to do anything else? This is going to be inspected as part of a kitchen remodel so I'm not sure if I...
  6. orf

Kitchen remodel ARC FAULT AND GFI breakers

I'm redoing the kitchen and will have to rewire. As I understand I will need GFI as well as Arc fault protection on some of the circuits. Question 1 Which items need both and which just need one or the other? How about the lights? Question 2 How do you add both types of protection on things...
  7. orf

Wet vents

I'm about to embark on a bathroom remodel in a 10 x 10-foot room and will need to install a new DWV system. Currently, the only vent in the bath is a 1 1/2" that extends through the roof, I think that is the vent for the sink. The main vent is through the side of the basement wall about 25 feet...
  8. orf

Old vent is going through the wall

I would like to replace the S trap under my kitchen with a P trap but I'm afraid of opening a can of worms with the plumbing inspector and I don't want to call him to ask for advice in case that opens a can of worms. The problem is that there is only one 1 1/2" vent that goes through the roof...
  9. orf

Homasote Fiberboard under siding

I'm in the process of getting estimates to have vinyl siding installed on a 1950's house. Under the wood siding is that black Homasote type fiber sheeting. One of the contractors pointed out that this type of siding isn't structural and once the wood clapboards are removed it should be...
  10. orf

1/2" to 3/4" gas pipe

I'm installing a new range that requires 3/4" pipe. I now have a 1/2" pipe that goes into a tee which is 1" on one side (from the meter), 3/4" on one side(going to the furnace and hot water tank) but is reduced to 1/2" going to the stove. It would be very difficult to remove the tee so is it...
  11. orf

Need more circuit breakers

I will soon be buying a new house that has a 100 amp service. and the box is almost full, I think there is room for 15 breakers and it only has 3 empty slots. There are mainly 15 amp breakers and no 220. Watching Youtube last night there was an electrician that said that you can't just swap out...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks