Search results

1. Mike Garrod

Shut offs for wall mounted fixtures?

im installing a bunch of wall mounted lav faucets which I have never done before. Just wondering where and how the shut offs are usually plumbed. My thinking is that you just come out of wall, have an in-line ball valve, then go back into wall and tie into the rough in. Is this how it’s done...
  2. Mike Garrod

Expansion tank for hot water tank?

According to Canadian NPC, provision must be made for thermal expansion when check valves or pressure reducing valves are installed. Is the T&P relief valve sufficient to meet this requirement? Or must an expansion tank be installed. I always install an expansion tank when check valves are...
  3. Mike Garrod

ABS into old hub & spigot pipe?

Anyone know of any sure fire ways to tie ABS pipe INTO the hub of old hub and spigot cast iron pipe? I've seen a few ways online but wanted some plumbers who do a lot of service or residential reno's advice. I think Fernco makes a gasket, and I've also seen someone who used oakum and hydraulic...
  4. Mike Garrod

RPBA install req's

I am installing a Watts 2" RPBA. I have it installed at 6'4". I know max height is 60" unless a 'permanent platform' is built. My question is what is the definition/purpose of a 'permanent platform'? I have heard two differing opinions. One is that a platform is req'd solely for the testing...
  5. Mike Garrod

Strictly re-piping houses. Economically viable business?

i worked in re-pipe for years in Vancouver BC recouping big and small apartment buildings. It is a profitable market in that sense. I have a friend who wants to do "residential re-pipes" and something tells me it's just not worth it. Seems to me that most plumbing companies already offer re pipe...
  6. Mike Garrod

B2B showers w/ extreme pressure variations

I have not gone to look yet, but from what homeowner explained over the phone, one shower he could "walk around in for 4 hours and barely be wet", while the other one is "like a pressure washer." It sounds to me like it is a back-to-back setup, and the diverters are Moen's. He sounds like a guy...
  7. Mike Garrod

Proper place for vacuum breaker

The way I was taught was to always put a vacuum breaker above the hot water tank, on the cold supply, theory being if a vacuum was formed it would be broken before siphoning the tank dry. That's my understanding anyways. But I bring this up because I am with a large mechanical company working on...
  8. Mike Garrod

How much to charge for side jobs?

Not so much a plumbing question as it is a business one. I don't do a lot of side jobs but have a big one coming up. The issue I have is since my experience is not in residential I have no idea how much to charge. I talked to my brother in law who is a plumber and he charges materials + 30% mark...
  9. Mike Garrod

Sch 40 or Sch 80 for sump pump discharge?

should I use Sch 40 or Sch 80 pvc for the discharge on a sump pump? Am installing a liberty p382le41.
  10. Mike Garrod

Laundry code req's

In Vancouver, BC. Can someone please tell me the specific code requirements regarding laundries? I need to rough-in a washing machine and laundry tub and would just like any specific code requirements to help me plumb it the most efficient way given the situation. I know code has recently been...
  11. Mike Garrod

Correct use of a double wye

does anyone use double wyes to plumb a typical bathroom group? I have seen them used 3" center ports w/ 2" side outlets, toilet obviously on the 3", and one port directly to shower and other port to lav with the lav wet venting all the toilet and shower. My question is, is it allowable to use a...
  12. Mike Garrod

Best way to plumb shower drain in basement?

I'm just curious as to how you guys plumb showers in a basement. Is it okay to box out a 12"x12" square in the approx area of shower drain and stub up in it? Then any slight offsets could be done after concrete has been poured? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  13. Mike Garrod

Can 90s be used to transition from horizontal to vertical?

I know 90s cannot be used to transition from vertical to horizontal, but can they be used vice versa? Line in question is a 4" sanitary line draining an upstairs bathroom group.
  14. Mike Garrod

2 sanitary lines out of house?

I am looking at doing a Reno for a friend of mine who is redoing the basement. Upon inspection I noticed his current downstairs set up drains out of the boys about 6" above the slab, and his upstairs drains out of house about 5' above the slab. Current basement bathroom is built up about 12"...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks