Chlorine bleach has gotten more expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Aldi in 2017 8.25% 121oz was $2.69.
Aldi in 2022 6.00% 121OZ was $4.99.

So looking elsewhere, I find that many makers have gone to 81 oz bottles rather than 121. And tho they say it is now more concentrated, I don't think that is true. I find the images on the website don't let you see the concentration for the 81 oz bottles, and the text does not often show the number.

https://www.clorox.com/learn/water-purification-how-much-bleach-purify-water-for-drinking/ says "ONLY use Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach or Clorox® Germicidal Bleach (Concentrated Formula).

Those bleaches do not contain the CloroMax additive, which I think is their name for Poly(Diallyldimethylammonium Chloride), also known as polyDADMAC (polydiallyldimethylammounium chloride).

Restaurant supply houses may carry the "Clorox Germicidal Bleach". So does Home Depot and some others. I just went to Home Depot. the bottle of "Clorox Germicidal Bleach" on the shelf say 7.55%. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Clorox-...Bleach-Cleaner-4-Pack-C-311787187-4/316333209 is 4-bottles, which can be ordered in to the stores for a tiny bit less per bottle than the single bottles. The 121 ounce bottles. Still, the Aldi seems to be cheapest, even after compensating for the reduced 6% concentration.

So anyway, I thought that others that use chlorine bleach for water treatment might have observations. I have an ugly spreadsheet to track my comparisons.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the numbers arent that easy to find I dont even know what percentage house hold bleach should be. it be nice to put it in big numbers but that aint happening where are the activists?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Me, I grabbed a bottle of Clorox no-splash formula for our laundry room to replace dwindling supply recently.
Then, I get home and my spouse actually reads the label on back: "Not for sanitization or disinfection. To sanitize and disinfect, use Clorox Disinfecting Bleach"
WTF

Reach4

Reaction score
Me, I grabbed a bottle of Clorox no-splash formula for our laundry room to replace dwindling supply recently.
Then, I get home and my spouse actually reads the label on back: "Not for sanitization or disinfection. To sanitize and disinfect, use Clorox Disinfecting Bleach"
WTF
No/low-splash has thickening agent, surfactant. So good for laundry, but not some other bleach uses.
https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/product/6190839/ingredients

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks