Recent content by Nick Evans

1. Nick Evans

Toilet Clearance in Utah

Hi All, I'm in Utah, and it's my understanding that we use the 2018 IRC Residential Code Which appears to indicate a minimum of 21" clearance between front of toilet and anything else. I had a bathroom remodel company come give me a bid, and they claimed a minimum of 30" clearance is required...
  2. Nick Evans

What is this PVC pipe on my water main?

So nothing necessary to keep around. Think I'll cut it out, during the softener install. Thanks
  3. Nick Evans

What is this PVC pipe on my water main?

I'm looking at adding a water softener to our home, but there's something on the line that I'm unfamiliar with. Right after the main shutoff valve is a T with a PVC contraption above and attached. What is it? Trying to figure out if I should install before/after it, or cut it out... mostly just...
  4. Nick Evans

How to plumb sink after washer drain?

After looking at more examples on other sites, I'm wondering if this is a better set up: No wet venting (I don't think), a simpler design, and I think if the vent is stacked right over the drain it's more like the examples I'm seeing around online. Would this setup work? If no - could you...
  5. Nick Evans

I drew it - good thing I posted it to find out it's badly done. So since there are 2 drains on this line, what does the vent distance change to? 2'? Directly above the drain (don't know what the term is for that). Can you give me some details as to why it's too complicated or doesn't work? You...
  6. Nick Evans

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went and read up more on venting and wet venting. If I understand correctly - the way they plumbed things originally (picture #1 in my first post) they wet vented the washer drain, which per @Terry is bad. So based on the feedback, and what I read in those links...
  7. Nick Evans

I have a washer/dryer next to a sink hookup, but we want to move things to the adjacent wall. Here is a picture of the current setup. The sink is currently connected to the stack at a T above the T that connects the washer drain pipe. I have to go ~30" from the stack to an elbow, then...
  8. Nick Evans

Does preslope need to go all the way to the drain?

We'll be doing cultured marble, so I'm not certain if that has any impact on this. I get what you're saying that without a preslope all the way to the weep-holes, it would puddle. So would it work to continue the slope from the edge of the foam to the drain flange that is screwed to the...
  9. Nick Evans

Does preslope need to go all the way to the drain?

I installed a 3 piece clamping drain, that is screwed flush to the subfloor. In my previous discussion, I was looking at the fact that my drain was not set correctly for a mud pan. I then found out about foam preslopes. The slope has a 2% slope, and cuts to size. I installed this one...
  10. Nick Evans

How to install a vapor barrier for use with a mud pan?

Thanks for all that info. I reread my last post, and realize I wrote something wrong. I meant to say, installing the liner 2" above the curb didn't seem like a big deal. I did not however realize that this means no nailing at that point (from base to 2" above curb). I also didn't know...
  11. Nick Evans

The panel's are going to be one solid slab per wall, so I guess my drain is the wrong height :( The liner going 2" above the curb doesn't seems totally do-able... is there something about this that I'm not considering, or is it just an FYI? You mentioned that I'm showing a 'conventional shower...
  12. Nick Evans

The marble guys told us to install a 3 piece clamping drain so I did that. But I do have some concerns now that I've read some more. I watched this video on preslope and 3 piece clamping drain. In the video, he has a 3 piece clamping drain installed as well, but his does not sit flush to the...
  13. Nick Evans

So, how does that actual pan seal to the drain, and are you sure you have the right type drain installed? -I installed what the cultured marble guys said they use, based off of a picture they sent. Is there a difference when you say 'base' and 'pan'? I thought the 2 were interchangeable, but...
  14. Nick Evans

I have been going through lots of threads and videos on the topic of vapor barriers in use behind backerboard, but I'm still coming up with some unanswered questions. We are doing a cultured marble shower. The installation of the cultured marble will be hired out, and they will be doing the pan...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks