Recent content by DanInNaperville

1. D

Burnham boiler

One other thing that you can look for is a thermostatic mixing valve - it could look something like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi-521509A-3-4-Sweat-Connection-MixingCal-3-Way-Thermostatic-Mixing-Valve It's designed to limit the temperature of the water going into the slab and/or...
  2. D

20 YR OLD Water Heaters (2) - Replace or Can I Keep Waiting?

The tankless is more efficient and provides "endless" hot water (at a limited, but reasonable flow rate). But it's far more complicated than your current HW heater and will have issues from time to time. It's also important to get it serviced regularly where a conventional HW heater can be...
  3. D

Burnham boiler

You may have two heat sources. Radiant heat is typically limited to about 120 degrees or less - you wouldn't want to walk across a floor that warm or warmer... It's a bit of a problem, since cast iron boilers have limited life spans is they're run for long periods of time at less than 140...
  4. D

New Laars combi not heating enough

Check page 59 of this manual (assuming it matches your model) https://www.laars.com/images/uploads/products/1318F-NH2.pdf You'll see that you have to set both the central heating max AND min temperatures or it will default to a lower temperature. If you have old cast iron radiators, this...
  5. D

25-year old Burnham 208NS-TEI5 - parts availability and longevity

You may have an easier time finding parts for your 25 year old cast iron boiler than you would for a 5 year old "high efficiency" boiler. Conventional boilers (in most cases) use off the shelf gas valves and control boards. Multiple manufacturers sometimes use the same parts. They stay in...
  6. D

Indirect Water Healer Failure

I'm just curious, what kind of indirect water heater and how old is it? Does your area have really low quality natural gas? I'm considering replacing my (still working fine) conventional boiler from 1988 but don't need to (Burnham Series 2). If your boiler really is on its last legs, you might...
  7. D

Magnet filter and boiler water treatment

This only applies if the Alpine is a water tube boiler, but since Burnham has gone to great lengths to scrub any information on the heat exchanger from the boiler's public technical documents, it probably is. A little surprising that the original installer put a cast iron air scoop in a system...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks