heating

1. C

Cast Iron Radiator Re-Pipe to Pex Home Runs

I am preparing to re-pipe my home's early 1900s cast iron radiator system from black iron branch arms to a 1/2" pex-al-pex home run system. The home has 12 radiators - 6 upstairs and 6 downstairs. The boiler is in the basement and the ceiling is now fully exposed, allowing access to riser ends...
  2. Kamil

Unions on boiler system

Hello everybody, I am repiping old heating system into loops with the boiler remaining the same at this time but it will be changed in the future. I want to use unions to facilitate future boiler replacement. Is there any problem using unions on boiler system. I was wandering if they cause...
  3. Kamil

Securing hePEX

Hello, I would like to know what people use to secure uponor hePEX when used for heating. I am running multiple lines and want to secure them to the basement ceiling. I saw plastic clamps available but they are rated at 150 degrees whereas the water from the boiler peaks at 200f. Would those...
  4. Roland

Hydro Air, zones and tankless sizing...

Hello.. I'm considering replacing multiple gas furnaces, which provide zoned heat, with a hydro-air system. My question is: If I have multiple air handlers (one handler per zone), can I use a single tankless "boiler" to feed all the air handlers? The concern is that all the zones will not be...
  5. orf

What size heating pipe?

I'm extending the back of my house out 14 feet (the current room is 12x23 and has 3 registers) it's a one-story open concept house. I need to disconnect two of the original three registers and 4" pipes. Can I simply add a few extra lengths 4" pipe or do I have to use a larger diameter pipe...
  6. Ricardo Villamil

Noisy circulator pump

Hey guys, I just bought a 20y/o house with an oil boiler and three heating zones. From what I can tell, there's one circulator pump for all three zones and three zone valves (there's another circulator pump which I'm not sure what it does. It is also a bit noisy but not much). One of the pumps...
  7. Kengie

Boiler Short Cycling - Multi zones

Hi everyone, I have a strange issue in which I don't understand how it works. So I have a Williamson Oil-based boiler Series 2 (W_OWB_OWT_Brochure.pdf (williamson-thermoflo.com)) that has a Hydrostat and I'm using Lux Smart Kono for 3 zones in a 1700 sq. feet two story house. The water based...
  8. RockinRobyn

Can I tie a plumbing vent into a heater vent?

Hello, I've searched the internet and found your blog so I thought I would ask the question here. Doing a remodel and wanted to double check to see if this was ok... Can I tie a plumbing vent from a new bathroom into my heater vent to exit the house and vent out of the roof? Thanks!
  9. Nathan Perry

New radiant heat install

I’m building a new 2100sq ft home. All one level. I’ve received mixed input on what to use as far as a boiler, hot water heater and electric boiler for the system. The pex will be going in the floor joist. One proposal was also to use 7/8 pex and I’ve read some guys would never use that. What...
  10. elmo3334

Can anyone help me with setting up a new water dispenser for the office?

My company just ordered a replacement for the water dispenser in the office. I thought it was as easy as unpacking, plugging in, switching on and placing a water bottle on (sadly in that exact order :(). To my defense, I work and live in a foreign country so the manual was not in English and I...
  11. Vinny

Boiler question.

hello everyone. I’m a plumber for many years but mostly work in new construction projects. My hot water boiler safety relief valve was leaking. I noticed it stopped leaking and the pressure dropped to 5 PSI. I opened the pressure reducing valve and it brought the pressure way past 30 and was...
  12. Cadobe

Navien NCB manifold piping

My configuration install looks 100% similar with the attached image, having only one zone. Anyhow I can control the temperatures on each individual room by either using the smart thermostat or/and the TRV's. - Pump: Taco VR1816 - Heat emiters: Myson panel radiators with TRV's on all of them -...
  13. hotwaterless

Bradford White Defender Water Heater Issue

Glad I came across this forum. So here is my story and I hope someone can shed some light on what to do next. I live in Huntington Beach California. I had a slab leak and had the house re-piped in August 2018. I used a plumber who used a third party piping company to do the work. This isn't...
  14. HouseFix

Hot water heat - Reverse return piping questions

Looking for help with questions for a hot water heating system with reverse return piping and cast iron radiators. 1) Can the pipe size of the branches and the main supply/return pipes be the same size? e.g. 3/4" mains with 3/4" branches leading to each radiator. Or is it recommended for the...
  15. Buddy Hughes

Oil boiler for farmhouse renovation

Hi All, I am about to start renovating a 280 sq meter listed farmhouse. Walls are solid, single glazing but underfloor heating fitted downstairs and roof insulated to latest regs. Initially, I was keen on a heat pump - but it now seems that these won't be suitable and will be hugely expensive...
  16. Davie

Zoning for basement heating

I'm still working on a system design for my very lossy two storey house with unfinished basement. I'm looking at having one zone on each aboveground level, but I'm wondering what I should do about the basement. My heat loss calculations for the basement show 14,500 BTU/h total loss at design...
  17. johnboy585

Danby Oil Furnaces

Hello, I am in need of a new oil furnace and came across a Danby KLR-100 which does not have the high efficiency condensing feature. I read that the condensing ones are trouble. I cannot find hardly any user reviews on this brand. I presently have a 24 year old Airco that has a leaky heat...
  18. Brady1

Hydronic System Troubles

I have been dealing with a new hydronic heating system lately, and the compression tank gets almost full of water after just a couple weeks. The system itself is said to have a leak, as it has to have water regularly added, every week or so, to keep the boiler pressure at 12 psi or more. Would...
  19. Greenleaf

Hydronic Radiant In-floor Heating: Pump & air valve replacement

In our recently purchased approx 20 yr old house, we have an in-floor radiant heating system, that seems to work quite poorly, as in very slow to heat (like, half a day to get rooms up to temp). I suspect the previous owners either did not use it, or only used it supplementally. (house also has...
  20. Chris Molloy

Solar water heating optimization

I was wondering if it makes sense to control solar water collector pump speed to optimize output using a PID controller. Inputs: delta T and flow rate. Output: flowrate. Calculate btu output based on flow and deltaT and adjust flow rate to optimize btu output. Did not find much with google...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks