Solar water heating optimization

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Molloy

Reaction score
I was wondering if it makes sense to control solar water collector pump speed to optimize output using a PID controller. Inputs: delta T and flow rate. Output: flowrate. Calculate btu output based on flow and deltaT and adjust flow rate to optimize btu output.

Did not find much with google search on this topic.

Reaction score
Changing to flow rate to attain a delta T would be the way to go, which I think it what you were asking. As the water in the storage tank increases you want the return water to be from the panels to X number degrees warmer than the water in the tank. Just make sure that you don't have to much flow that you end up with cavitation. A variable speed pump should allow you to run the system in colder weather, than with a constant speed pump. How long it take to pay off is a different question.

RoxanWright

Reaction score
Website
solarservicingsa.com.au
Usually in a solar water heating system the cold water is replenished to the storage tank the moment the load is served. You can confirm the water replenishment profile which optimized the system. They used this analytical method wherein the profile is proposed to size of solar water heating system near optimally. After that the problem is analyzed using the called design space approach methodology.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks