Arc fault circuit breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

chukakid

Reaction score
Finishing a basement and local jurisdiction has adopted 2008 NEC code but I'm still having trouble understanding which circuits require the ARC fault. I'm laying out 15AMP lighting circuits and 20AMP outlet circuits. The Bath and the wet bar area will have 20Amp GFI outlets. The basement will have a bedroom, exercise room, entertainment room, wet bar area and game room. I think I need the ARC breakers for each room except for the GFI circuits, is that correct? :confused:

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Finishing a basement and local jurisdiction has adopted 2008 NEC code but I'm still having trouble understanding which circuits require the ARC fault. I'm laying out 15AMP lighting circuits and 20AMP outlet circuits. The Bath and the wet bar area will have 20Amp GFI outlets. The basement will have a bedroom, exercise room, entertainment room, wet bar area and game room. I think I need the ARC breakers for each room except for the GFI circuits, is that correct? :confused:

Everything down there will need AFCI

(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check that your town actually adopted that part of the code. Towns don't always adopt everything within the 2008 code even though they say they are using the 2008 code.

-rick

chukakid

Reaction score
Thanks, are there any specific brands that you would recomend? I'll be putting them in a new subpanel just for the basement circuits. I'll have single pole 15amp and 20amp breakers?

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
The general idea is "wet areas" GFCI, so bathroom, kitchen, garage, outside outlets, and basement.... Then everything else AFCI.

But you are finishing your basement... But then you will have a "wet area" (wet bar)...

To be sure, I would ask your electrical inspector before installing this stuff.

Dumb question: Would a "finished" basement be less wet than a non-finished basement?

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by brands? Use the brand of breakers that matches the panel you are using. You can't go wrong with Square D QO panels and breakers.

franck

Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of Arc-fault breakers, how many outlets can you put on one Arc-fault breaker? Compared to a standard breaker they are kind of expensive and I'd like to put two bedrooms on one breaker.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Since we are on the topic of Arc-fault breakers, how many outlets can you put on one Arc-fault breaker? Compared to a standard breaker they are kind of expensive and I'd like to put two bedrooms on one breaker.

Follow the same rules for sizing a circuit.
Being an arc fault, gfci, or standard breaker makes no difference when sizing a load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks