3 wire circuits and arc fault breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Not a lot of selection in QO land but there is this one. Also non-CTL so only legal for old panels. They call it a quad tandem but I'd call it a triplex - QO20303020 - https://www.rexelusa.com/usr/Root-Category/Power-Distribution/Circuit-Breakers/Circuit-Breakers---Residential/Quadplex-Circuit-Breakers/Square-D-QO20303020-Breaker,-Plug-In,-Quad,-2-1P,-20A,-1-2P,-30A,-120-240VAC,-10kAIC/p/214387
I don't think the center double pole 30 is common trip as cut sheet shows two separate tandems. So I guess you could take CTL tandems and use handle ties as well for MWBC.

From their catalog page:
Not a solution, and did you look at the price? Is it molded from unicorn poo?

Stuff

Reaction score
OP: Since you are not giving details of what you have it is hard to give you options that you are agreeable with. If you are that dissatisfied with your current panel then you should look into getting it replaced. It will cost a lot but it will be over and done with.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, you might consider a subpanel. A sub panel can be a different brand and style.

Reaction score
OP: Since you are not giving details of what you have it is hard to give you options that you are agreeable with. If you are that dissatisfied with your current panel then you should look into getting it replaced. It will cost a lot but it will be over and done with.

It is a hundred amp QO panel with 24 spaces. There are something like 35 circuits in it. The buss bars are fully subscribed. The panel is packed with wire. The service comes from under ground under the driveway; it would be gruesomely expensive to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. I need to talk to the power company to find out if their existing service would support a 125 amp panel, but I am pretty sure they are hell bent to see all new services to be in 3" conduit, hence jacking up the driveway and trenching to the power company's junction.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another possibility is to run the new high power service to a new main box, and the existing box would be wired as an 80 or 100 amp sub-panel off of the new main box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks