Joining a pipe to a laundry faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Amopower

Reaction score
Hi all, What would I need to join these two pieces together? This is a laundry faucet hookup. I was thinking teflon tape or pipe joint compound wouldn't be sufficient, or would it? Does the beveled inside of the laundry faucet mean anything, do I need a different adapter other than the copper one I bought?

DSC01312.JPG
DSC01313.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure if I've ever seen anything like that... from the fact that it's threaded copper to copper I'd probably just use pipe thread compound (pipe dope)... other's may have other suggestions. Teflon tape would work just as well although I've had fewer leaks with pipe dope. The general rule is two wraps of teflon tape wrapped in the direction that it does not unwind when screwing the pieces together... (hold the tape on the male fitting and turn the fitting as if you are screwing it into the female to determine the correction direction to apply the tape.)

Amopower

Reaction score
The laundry part is brass, so it would be copper going into brass. The copper part plus that transition fitting is negotiable, I got it because the threads happened to match up. If theres something more appropriate I should get, let me know.
Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's nothing more than a male hose thread connecting to a female hose. All you need is a hose washer just like connecting two hoses together. The other end of the copper connector must be sweated to a copper pipe.

Amopower

Reaction score
The other end of the copper is what I was going to screw into that brass laundry faucet. (i.e. pic 1313 into pic 1312). I'm OK with the hose connector looking union, there's already a rubber washer in there. I was just wondering about what I needed to join the two pictures together.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is there a reason you're using that hose pipe connector rather than a hose pipe bibb or washing machine box? Anybody got a picture of a laundry supply set up to show this gentleman? Is this a supply for a washing machine or a laundry sink/tub? Not too sure of what you are installing..... maybe if you show us a profile picture of the first item....

Last edited:

Amopower

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the full faucet. No its not for a washing machine, just a standalone faucet I will put in the garage for a hot/cold water hose. (i like to wash my car with warm water, works better, don't laugh).

banner-faucet-sf56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
From the looks of it (never seen one like that before) I'd say that it is set up for normal pipe threads and they just screw onto a pipe (or copper/pvc/cpvc male fitting) which can be sealed with TFE paste or teflon tape..copper or galvanized will seal fine with pipe dope.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm dumb! I look at the photo wrong. I think Randy's right, that's a pipe thread. I use pipe dope, but some folks like teflon and some use both.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Take some teflon tape and thread the adaptor on to the faucet. Then connect the CPVC to it being sure the gasget is in between and then cut and connect the CPVC pipe above. After cutting the piece going to the adaptor you may have to disassemble it, glue the CPVC the re attatch to the adaptor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Those two linked pictures are so large and out of focus that it is impossible to tell what they are. But if they are the water connections to the faucet, then you need standard copper to male adapters with teflon tape or joint compound on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks