Flange ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Bigbobdallas

Reaction score
As we speak I am working on the flange. Tiled the floor and am cutting tile around the flange area so tat the flange will fit on top of floor, Is it a must that I use screws to hold it down if so I will figure it out, Help please

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you must screw the flange through to finished floor and into the subfloor. I'd use at least 4 stainless steel screws. Check the flange hole size and use the largest diameter screws possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A diamond bit will go through the tile without problems. Many of them are designed to be drilled wet...if you overheat it, you will ruin it. Try to keep the bit cool by using a spray bottle on the drill bit. A diamond bit works more like a grinding stone than a cutting tool. If the tile is porcelain, use the bit all the way through. A carbide bit can eventually make a hole through porcelain, but it does it more by breaking little chunks out than cutting or grinding...you'll probably end up ruining the bit.

If the tile aren't porcelain, then a carbide bit will likely cut it okay. Another alternative is a glass spade bit, but that may not work well on porcelain, either. Using the Mohs hardness scale, a PEI 5 porcelain is in the 9 range. Carbide is about an 8. Diamond is 10 (the hardest known compound). A higher numbered item will cut or scratch a lower numbered material, but not the other way around. If you throw in concussion, then point loads can cause the harder stuff to fracture, and allow the softer tool to make a hole through it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks