Mixet Madness

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was working on my first Mixet shower cartridge today and I wanted to kill myself and everyone else by the time I was done. It's the cartridge with the extension that screws on with lefthanded threads. It has a clip in the middle of it, but it's not a retaining clip because the screw cap/sleeve seems to keep the cartridge in place.

The cartridge had been leaking badly and I rebuilt it with new washers and o-rings and it does not leak anymore. Big deal! I can't get the darned thing to put out either the pressure of water I want or the temperature of water I want. And both the volume and temperature change for no other reason than to annoy me. One minute it has high pressure and cold temp, the next minute it has low pressure and high temp. I screwed with it for so long that I ran out of hot water altogether.

Do they have a better replacement cartridge for this, or should I tell my customer to just get used to extreme pressure and temperature changes during the shower? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I just found this replacement cartridge on the internet. It's pretty pricey. Has anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.savegas.com/Help/SaveGasHelp.htm#Manufactures_Links/Nomix_Information.htm

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mixet

I would never spend any time rebuilding a Mixet stem. I always replace it with a new one. The clip is a limiting device so the temperature handle only rotates 180 degrees. Without it the temperature handle will rotate in complete circles. I also throw the clip away when I work on them. There are two different extensions, the difference being fine or coarse threads, but I don't think either of them is a left hand thread, although it would be nice if they were because then the extension would not unscrew when you remove a tight cartridge.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The crossover probem with the mixet valve is well known. If you have a pumped recirc system, it will be severe.

The cartridge you mentioned is also well known, but I have not personally used it. I agree with hj that no time should ever be spent rebuilding cartridges of any brand. Your time is too valuable, and the call-back will cost you even more.

I would advise customers with a Mixet that they have a dinosaur....a valve that was a poor performer when new, and now as aftermarket support for the defunct company dwindles year by year, they should be aware the a complete replacement should be considered....the sooner the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks