Well Water Line Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

King_Aero

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses in my last post. I have a new question. It seems like my well problems never go away! :) I replaced my pump about a month ago and everything has been pretty good.

But now I believe I have a leak in the well line from the house to the well head. There was a leak it in last year which dug up and repaired. But because of the time of year, it wasn't the best time to do the whole line, i.e. ground was frozen. My question is this, can I run a smaller diameter pipe inside the original line to replace it? Obviously, this would save lots of effort and time. If not, does any one have any advice or tips on replacing the line?

I know if I do dig it up, I want to run a bigger pipe from the well to the house and slip the standard size line through it so that if it ever leaks again, no digging.

Thanks in advance for your help again.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The line running from the well to the house should be 1". If you can sleeve the existing line and have 1" coming in then go for it. If the existing line is 1" then no you can't and depending on where the repair is you most likely won't be able to get beyond that point anyway and would have to couple at that point and then continue to the pitless. The leak may be at your repair.

If it realy needs to be replaced just bite the bullet and replace the whole line with 1" pipe. What is the distance from well to house?

King_Aero

Reaction score
Cass said:
The line running from the well to the house should be 1". If you can sleeve the existing line and have 1" coming in then go for it. If the existing line is 1" then no you can't and depending on where the repair is you most likely won't be able to get beyond that point anyway and would have to couple at that point and then continue to the pitless. The leak may be at your repair.

If it realy needs to be replaced just bite the bullet and replace the whole line with 1" pipe. What is the distance from well to house?

The distance is about 35 feet. The outside diameter of the pipe is 1-1/4" so the inside is about 1", therefore it would have to be replaced. How is running a line usually done? My thought was to forget about pulling up the old one. Run a new one beside it and use one of those trench digger things. It will slice a half foot wide by 3 foot deep trench for running pipes. I thought that would be easier then a backhoe. And cheaper.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Abandoning the old line and installing next to it is fine.

You still have to dig down at the pitless to connect it. That is a lot of hand digging. Some trenchers have small back hoes on the other end of them.

Is 3' deep enough for your area? My area is 43" min.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks