(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: sanitization of used Mark 10 with standing water

Default sanitization of used Mark 10 with standing water

I have an opportunity to get a used Culligan Mark 10 water softener from a friend.

My concern is sanitization. It has not been used for a few years, theres standing water in the tanks.

So...I can handle the move and the plumbing but what about sanitization? I can empty out the brine tank no problem and bleach it.

The install manual I pulled online says you can sanitize the resin as well using bleach after regenerating once to remove iron (shouldnt be a lot in this water) and then by pouring a cup of bleach into the brine chamber and again manually recharging.

Think this would do the job???

That should do the job but I would check and see what the avalibility of parts is for that unit. You may only be able to call Culligan for service and parts which will cost you big time. All the Culligan units I have seen were junk. It may work for a while.

thanks for the reply.

we can basically have this one for free (plus purchased salt and the plumbing supplies) so if its a dud i can yank it and toss.

i just was worried about making sure i could sanitize it well enough before i did the work.

thanks again.

Depending on the volume of resin, a cup may be a bit much but that's how you do it except.... use non-scented bleach and unplug the control for about 15-20 minutes when it has drawn all the bleach (brine) water out of the salt tank. Then plug it back in and allow it to finish the regeneration on its own.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

If it hasn't been used for a few years, then it's gonna be a struggle just to get it to work. There's a lot of little thigs in there that get dried up, sticky, stuck, etc.....
    Good luck. And let us know how it goes cuz my Mark 10 is shot!!! :lol: