Visible shut offs, options for appearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

MartinM

Reaction score
Hi guys, wondering if you could share how you handle when shut offs are clearly visible. Have 2 situations on our remodel. One bathroom you walk in and the toilet is on the left wall so the shut off is clearly visible, and the other bathroom will have a pedestal sink where you can see its shut offs pretty easy.

The pedestal I have new stubs coming out, and the toilet I will run a new stub out of the wall. I was wondering if there was a chrome sleeve or something they made that goes over the copper and would slide into an escutcheon plate.. Not sure, has to be some way of making it look nicer than just copper coming out and a valve.

Thanks

Lancaster

Reaction score
Yes,you can buy chrome (also other finish) cover tubes that are about 3 inches long.You need to get a 3/8" ips escutcheon to fit over them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Brasscraft has one that solders onto a 1/2" copper pipe stub. It is about 5" long. I bought one at HD awhile ago.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
copper sleeves

something else that works great and
we used to do it all the time in new construction.......

just tin the copper pipe comming out of the
wall silver and then wipe it off with a tining rag
..makeing the pipe silver- chrome.....

it looks like chrome, acts like crome.....
it lasts about 20 years
and no body cares to get
close enough to really check it out.....

or you can go to wall mart and buy a small bottle of
silver -chrome touch up paint in the automotive section
for about 2 bucks.....

I use it to "touch up " knicks and scratches

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cut the pipe off about 2" from the wall and shine it with grit cloth. Use a chrome valve and escutcheon and it looks great.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Clean the polished copper with acetone and paint it with clear nail polish or lacquer to preserve the shine, or be prepared to re-polish it every couple of months.

MartinM

Reaction score
Lancaster said:
Yes,you can buy chrome (also other finish) cover tubes that are about 3 inches long.You need to get a 3/8" ips escutcheon to fit over them.

Do these have a specific name or anything I could look up? Tried to find some at the home centers and came up empty. Just think a cover would be the easiest. if I can't find anything maybe I will just paint the thing though.

Thanks guys.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
I like kordts idea best.

I would use chrome stops with compression on the inlet and outlet.

If you cut the copper just long enough, you won't see any copper............
after the valve is installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks