Help me seal this basement pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

the_redhawk

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post. I hope this is relevent to this forum.

My problem is as follows:

The septic pvc drain going from my basement to the septic tank outside brings in rain water around the pipe whenever it rains. (in the space between the septic pipe and the premade hole. The premade pipe hole is also plastic that was a piece of some 6" green plastic pipe cut and placed in the concrete when the concrete was poured. The leak used to be a little, but now it pours in. The house is only 3 yrs old. I am currently landscaping and will fix any sloping/settling issues after I am sure the leak is is fixed.

I tried hydraulic cement on the inside after I removed the old cement between the pvc and opening by chiseling it out and replacing it, but the leak returned when it rained. It is also cracking on the inside where I tried to make the repair like it was before. There is also dead space where I can't fit the cement (too deep to push it). Should that space be filled with a foam filler? Since my contact points are both plastic (pvc pipe and outer hole form), would I even use hydraulic cement or would I use epoxy, caulk, etc.? The space around the pvc to the green plastic form is about an inch between the pipes.

I think I'll need to dig up the outside as well. Do I use hydraulic cement like before, or an epoxy, special caulk, etc. on the inside and outside? Should I put rock under the ground around the pipe where it enters the house it to let water drain below the pipe and not set at the point where the pipe enters the basement?

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph W. Shipley

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
The 6in green plastic pipe was put in the form so they didn't have to drill a hole in the cured concrete afterward. The hydraulic cement won't bond to that very well.

I would try maybe an epoxy if you can get something thick enough to stay in, or make some sort of form to hold it from running out.

You could also chip/chisel/cut/drill out that green pipe a bit and chisel out the concrete some making the back wider than the front and then try your hydraulic cement with a cement bonding agent. The water pressure behind it will hold it in place.

Check drainage outside of your house. Make sure ground is sloped away at at least 5% grade.

Jason

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be able to put some expanding foam in the annular space. The foam comes in an aerosol can.

Clean the area very well. Maybe wash it and let it dry before you add the foam.

It will probably be more effective if you dig down and clean out the outside area so the foam laps the concrete outside the hole.

After you put in the foam, coat it liberally with roof mastic on the outside to waterproof it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd take that green pipe out. Cut, chisel, burn, whatever you have to do. Then use hydralic cement and it will bond. Trying short cuts to patch leaks seldom works, but you could probably get a good seal even if you could only get 3" or 4" inches of that green pipe chipped out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks