Best type of pipe insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I want to insulate my hot and cold water lines. They are exposed in my basement, so there is easy access. I have seen the 6 foot foam with both 3/8" and 1/2" walls, and I have seen fiberglass strips 3" x 25'. I like the foam idea, but wonder about the added thickness being worth twice as much, and if the fiberglass would be better than the foam.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Compare the R-values. Then decide if the thickness is a good thing or bad for your application. Not sure of the fire rating of either or what may be the toxic fumes. The paper cover may be less robust than the foam. If the paper does get wet for some reason, it tends to look funky. In a normal situation though, I don't think it matters! My unprofessional opinion.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything but the foam. The fiberglass is hard to wrap on pipe, it compacts and can't get wet. I would use the thickest on the hot pipes especially, if you're trying to minimize heat loss.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for confirming what I was leaning toward. I'll go with the thicker foam for all of the reasons given.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks