Tub strainer leaker-help

Users who are viewing this thread

p--at

Reaction score
Hey! Newby home owner-got a leak in my tub strainer- drain connector. It looks like its leaking where the two connect.How do you get the strainer out and when I get a new one do you need putty or something to fill in with-my tub is old and porcelin and the drain pipe is copper or brass. Help this is just one of many probs also have faucet leaks but first things first. thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the strainer basket still has cross-shaped bars at the bottom, a special wrench is avaialble for less than $10 at any hardware store to try and unscrew it. If it is old and the bars snap off, an internal pipe gripper is available from a plumbing supply house to turn it out.

To install the new on: You will reach into the hole with a toothpick or screwdriver and remove a rubber gasket which is sandwiched between the bottom side of the tub and the face of the drain elbow. A new gasket will then be slipped in. A fat bead of putty is then placed on the bottom of the new strainer basket and it is screwed into place. I say a fat bead, but you do want to keep putty off the threads, and try not to use so much putty that is is forced down thru the hole.

The are 2 common sizes of basket threads, and probably a dozen less common sizes. Take the old one with you to a plumbing supply to obtain a replacement.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks