Recomandations for some options for a 5600 SXT softner

Users who are viewing this thread

spete112

Reaction score
I have decided on ordering a Flex 5600 sxt 4800. My Iron that I am dealing with is 1.2 PPM. Depending on which web site I look at to order from I am being told that my iron is high enough to use the fine mesh resin and others are saying not to bother with it. I also have the same question regarding using the RES UP FEEDER. One last question regarding the vortex for backwashing. It that worth the up charge? Just in case you need more info I am on a well my hardness is 22.3 gpg, iron is 1.2 ppm and my mang is .14. There is only two of us in the house however we do have three high flow fixtures that we are using on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I am not a fan of using softeners for iron removal. If you must,then regular resin is fine. Res-up feeder is also highly recommended. Vortech tank, dont bother.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Comparatively speaking, 1.2 ppm of iron isn't a lot of iron for a softener with regular mesh resin and is basically going to make a softener deal with the an equivalent of (1.2 * 4=) 4.8 gpg of compensate hardness, or in other words, the same as if your water was 5 gpg harder than it is. Add another gpg for the manganese.

And you'll spend less money using a 1/4 to 1/3 dry measure cup of Iron Out or Super Iron Out every 4-6 weeks in 2 gallons of water poured into the water in the salt tank and 2 hrs later doing a manual regeneration that night, than messing with a res up system. Res up drips 24/7 and does no good except when the softener sucks it out of the salt tank in the brine water. And there is no reason for a vortex tank or the problems they can cause. Including a gravel underbed is well worth the increased price and really, you should only buy from a dealer that uses them as a default, not an option. These guys selling vortex, fine mesh or SST-60 resin and res up system are wanting to up sell more than anything for your benefit.

That 4800 I read as a 48K softener and it has a 12 gpm constant service flow rate (SFR) and is too small if you have a peak demand water flow of over 12 gpm. If that is the case, a 1.5 cuft softener won't get all the hardness, iron and manganese out of the water and you will be unhappy.

spete112

Reaction score
Comparatively speaking, 1.2 ppm of iron isn't a lot of iron for a softener with regular mesh resin and is basically going to make a softener deal with the an equivalent of (1.2 * 4=) 4.8 gpg of compensate hardness, or in other words, the same as if your water was 5 gpg harder than it is. Add another gpg for the manganese.

And you'll spend less money using a 1/4 to 1/3 dry measure cup of Iron Out or Super Iron Out every 4-6 weeks in 2 gallons of water poured into the water in the salt tank and 2 hrs later doing a manual regeneration that night, than messing with a res up system. Res up drips 24/7 and does no good except when the softener sucks it out of the salt tank in the brine water. And there is no reason for a vortex tank or the problems they can cause. Including a gravel underbed is well worth the increased price and really, you should only buy from a dealer that uses them as a default, not an option. These guys selling vortex, fine mesh or SST-60 resin and res up system are wanting to up sell more than anything for your benefit.

That 4800 I read as a 48K softener and it has a 12 gpm constant service flow rate (SFR) and is too small if you have a peak demand water flow of over 12 gpm. If that is the case, a 1.5 cuft softener won't get all the hardness, iron and manganese out of the water and you will be unhappy.

Is there any ramifications of selection a softener that is too big. I am not talking about anything crazy however one dealer told me that a 40000 grain was almost too big. I really am not worried about extra salt usage. He was talking about channeling problems with a over sized softener. I really don't understand where the channeling issue comes in to play just because I am not running enough water through the softener. I still would regenerate the softener every week.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The people that talk about channeling in residential sized softeners simply are wrong. A "40K" is a 1.25 cuft softener and the average size is a 1.5'. Residential use doesn't run very low flows long enough to cause channeling in a 3'-5'+ deep bed.

The need for a larger softener is due to the peak demand flow rate that the softener has to remove the hardness and any iron and manganese from.

If you understand correct sizing, that is the critical part. If you don't have enough resin to provide the time it takes to treat the peak demand flow rate, the softener will not give you satisfactory service and the only things you can do to get it to is to run fewer fixtures at the same time or buy a larger tank and the additional resin and redo the plumbing to reconnect the larger softener. Well ya could live with a too small softener that gives you some hard water.

spete112

Reaction score
Ok great thanks both of you for your help. It is finally a great relief to feel that I not have the info that I need to purchase my softener.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks