cracked grommet seal upon removal of thermocouple from gas heater

Users who are viewing this thread

partyof8

Reaction score
So, the pilot light kept going out on our 10-yr old Rudd gas water heater. Because it seemed like a very easy repair, I decided to change the thermocouple to see if that would fix the problem prior to calling our plumber. However, the thermocouple ran through a rubber grommet seal on the door of the combustible chamber. When trying to pull the thermocouple through the grommet seal, the seal cracked and fell apart around the edges. The seal clearly has lost its ability to keep air out of the chamber.

I have since been to a few plumbing shops and searched on-line, but a replacement grommet appears hard to come by. Thus, my question is this: can I leave the compromised rubber grommet seal in place and caulk all around it with a 100% silicone caulk? From what I have read, a 100% silicone caulk will create an airtight seal that can withstand extreme heat without cracking.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks