(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bath tub waste outlet connection issue - need advice.

Default Bath tub waste outlet connection issue - need advice.

I have a free standing bath tub that came with a pre-installed cable operated drain assembly. This drain is located in the center of the tub. The overflow uses a flexible tube due to the construction of the tub itself - sides that taper in at the bottom of the tub. The waste outlet has external threads that would be attached to the drain plumbing. My question is this. What is the proper way to connect this type of drain outlet configuration to the drain flange? It is an unconventional set up to say the least.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a basic MPT (Male Pipe Thread) fitting. A FPT (female pipe thread) fitting should spin right onto that. Some plumbers pipe wrap and a little pipe dope and you shpud be able to switch out from the PVC to what ever you need.

Make sure you test your connection overnight. Fill the tub so that the water level reaches the overflow and then leave it overnight.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Thanks for the reply John. Once I adapt the threads to a PVC fitting is there a method to make the connection with the waste outlet attached to the bath tub? Or will I need to disconnect the assembly from the tub, make the plumbing connection and then situate the bath tub into position over the drain? I am being cautious because the waste outlet assembly is plastic and could be damaged (crushed) if everything is not positioned exactly right.

Blog Entries

Problem1 most times my plumbers either get everything dry fit and then we drop the tub over the set up and they connect the drain and waste overflow in position or they connect the waste and over flow and drop the entire set up over a wet fitting or a glued fitting.

I like using a no hub fitting here for a hair of forgiveness. Is this plumbing work going to be visible?

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

This is a free standing tub. l intend to set the tub height (adjustable feet) as low as possible to minimize what can be seen from outside of the tub. So whatever I choose to go with will need to be mounted slightly above floor level to accomplish this.
    Being that this is a fiberglass tub I am concerned about the bottom of the tub flexing. I was planning to keep the drain fitting free-floating thru the floor to allow for this flex. Otherwise the waste drain assembly may crack over time if there is no allowance for movement.
    I really do appreciate all the advice. If I am overlooking anything please keep me honest! I just don't want to screw it up.
    Thank you very much - Happy New Year to all!!

Blog Entries

I would worry about water getting down the hole through the floor.

I would worry about hiding this PVC fittings.

I would try and track down a collar to hid the plumbing.

If you open up the gab between the two assemblies so there is a little space the no-hub fitting will give you a hair of compression that I think you want. I pick up over sized escusions at a local Vancouver plumbing Wholesaler here in Vancouver called HillCrest Plumbing on Main Street near 17th.

Even a little bead of silicone around the hole will help prevent water from getting into the hole.

Are you sure that is the right plumbing kit for the tub. Most exposed fixtures are sold in chrome finish, stainless or oil rubbed bronze.