double bathroom sinks and washing machine through 2 inch drain - no vent - okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

leet

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it permissible and advisable to drain two bathroom lavs and a washing machine through a single 2 inch drain pipe with a run of less that 4 feet to the stack with no vent? The stack in my images also has a bathtub drain and toilet tied to it - all of this on the ground floor with no other drains or vents on this stack. I have provided two images - a photo "current" and the other image is a mock-up of my plan. I intend to move the washer drain over (laundry room is behind this wall) and add two bathroom sinks in place of a single sink.

current.jpgmove laundry drain - add 2 sinks to same drain.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Lee

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer needs a vent, the lav needs a vent and the other lav needs a vent.
Those three vents can tie together at 42" above the floor.

You need a wye fitting or combo with waste going from vertical to horizontal. A Santee is not allowed in that position.

A washer does a good job of siphoning traps.
That's why they are "never" allowed in a wet vent system.

leet

Reaction score
I created a new plan with a vent for the washing machine and a shared vent for the 2 sinks - using 2" pipe for all drains and vents. Do I need the washer vent in this setup? Can I share one vent with 2 sinks? Please refer to my mock-up below and let me know what you think.

Thanks again, Lee
mbath with vents.jpg

leet

Reaction score
First, the link you shared was very helpful - thanks!

Would you mind reviewing the diagram I created in response to your feedback? It is intended to show the flow of the drains and vents but not the fitting details. All pipes are pvc: 3" stack, 2" drains, 1.5" vents, and 1.25" sink drain traps. I would have set up both lavs like the one on the right but there is no room in the wall to cross a drain and a vent.

Thanks again for your help,

Lee

mbath with vents on sketchup.jpg

This drawing does not work
Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_leet.jpg

The revent is at 42" or higher off the floor.
The washer standpipe is at least 18" long.
I typically rough the lavs at 20" from the floor with a 32" counter.
The washer box works well at 48" to the top of the box. It can be lower than that, but the standpipe must be 18" at the min. I buy the washer shutoffs with hammer arrestors.

Last edited: