(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circuit Breaker trips same time every day

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Here is a test that a Ham did, Running 100 Watts, and his neighbor about 400 feet down the street let him do some testing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsILD0Fce1s

The audio is a bit low, but it shows what happened.

This panels AFCIs were affected by the 17 Meter Band, with only a 100 watt transmitter.
    I'm absolutely astonished... My thoughts are: 1) I'd like to attach a spectrum analyzer to that guys ham setup to see if he's putting out any low frequency sidebands in the KHz range. 2) Hook the breaker up to a signal generator to see how faulty the design is that it would pop so easily.

Radio frequencies are a lot like sound waves.. strange things do happen.. very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
    I'm absolutely astonished... My thoughts are: 1) I'd like to attach a spectrum analyzer to that guys ham setup to see if he's putting out any low frequency sidebands in the KHz range. 2) Hook the breaker up to a signal generator to see how faulty the design is that it would pop so easily.

Radio frequencies are a lot like sound waves.. strange things do happen.. very interesting.

I agree with You, This should not happen, But it does.

Changing to another brand or model seems to be the fix. Some AFCIs have been discontinued because of this problem. Ham Radio is not the only thing that trips them, Ham Radio operators just pointed it out to the Manufacture, so they changed the design.

It must be FM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

House wiring can be a pretty effective antenna(e) depending on the frequency range. I had an electronic doorbell for awhile that could play different music, depending on how it was programmed, and I could easily hear him through the speaker on certain bands. Swapped back to a conventional bell. There were a few other issues, but that was a long time ago.

Recently was shopping at a store near some Boston area TV transmitter towers...the remote on my car would NOT open the vehicle...had to get out the key. Luckily, (keyless door and engine start/stop) it did start up the car once inside. I'd been to that place previously with the car, and not had issues, but parked maybe 50' away - reflections, probably (and, no, it isn't the battery in the remote, it's still working fine months later). I've known people whose radio station presets were erased every time they drove by a certain area, but vehicles have gotten better over the years. RF can do some weird things.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014