(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Double shower drain vent question.

Default Double shower drain vent question.

Hello again.

This is the orientation of the P trap for the double shower (roughly). Will this set up be ok? Assuming I pitch the horizontal portion of the vent (downwards toward the drain), can I use a 90 degree el to tie into the vertical portion of the vent pipe. . .or are 2 45s preferable (required?)? Or ladies choice?

Thanks in advance.

TomAttachment 20201
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm beginning to understand that this is a flat vent and not acceptable. Off to do some research. . .Any advice is appreciated!

Tom

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I cannot see what you are trying to do, but can tell you that the vent takeoff must be vertical. Normally this is accomplished by routing the drain line under a wall so the vent can come up into the wall.

It looks like you are using a 2" trap with a union, I wouldn't do that. That type of trap has a tendency to leak at the union.

Thanks for the reply, cacher_chick.

When I get home, I will upload more pics to make things more clear as to what I am trying to accomplish.

In short. . .I will be framing in a 30x60" walk in shower - 2x4 walls on all sides. That back block wall with the vent pipe is the gable wall (the "back" wall of the shower). Where the P trap is sitting is the approximate location of the shower drain. Not sure that helps any, but I will upload photos later.

Tom

Crude pic, but hopefully you get the idea. 2x4 walls will be built to house a 32x60" walk in shower.

Tan = back wall
    Black = side walls
    Blue = front walls
    Red = old shower stall and drain
    Green = sink wall

The drain will fall roughly where it is placed. Below is the garage. The sinks will be on the wall to the right - you can see the drain rough in for the left sink at the bottom right of the pic.

Originally, the shower stall was in the left corner (the next joist bay to the left for the drain) and there was a sink facing the camera roughly where the lights are hanging from the ceiling. The stack and terlit are in the bottom left of the pic. The shower used a wet vent via the sink. I'm not sure I am expressing this correctly. . .I'll dig up a pic.

So what options do I have? How do I vent that shower drain without a flat vent?

Tom Name:  MasterBath045copyedit.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  63.7 KB

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The drain has to be routed to one side or the other so that the vent can come up into the wall. Once it is above 42", it can go horizontal (with pitch) and/or vertical to go wherever you need to go to continue it up through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    The drain has to be routed to one side or the other so that the vent can come up into the wall. Once it is above 42", it can go horizontal (with pitch) and/or vertical to go wherever you need to go to continue it up through the roof.
    Thanks.

Just getting a chance to reply here and over at the DIY forum. Both have been very helpful! Here's my last response. . .

Here's a quick mock up with some stuff I had laying around (these are 1.5 inch for demo purpose only). It looks like I can squeeze by in the inside portion of the 16"W (blue) wall. Come from the trap arm, through the joist with a long 90, add a wye on it's back and take the vent up vertically in the wall, and then continue on to the stack. Looking at the pics, what would be best to connect the last horizontal run. . .2 45s? 2 60s? 2 22s? (Less acute the better?)
    Name:  MasterBath045 005copy.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  MasterBath045 004copy.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  69.0 KB

Also, 2 questions about the sink drains. The original was 1.25 inch going into the stack. Is this 1.5"x1.25" into the stack a no no? If so, if I can cut just behind the bolt I (may??) be able to get a 2" part of the 1.5"x2" fernco screwed on there.
    Name:  MasterBath045 006copy.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  44.9 KB

Do they make long turn 45s?? Is this 45 asking for trouble (draining from the sinks)?

Name:  MasterBath045 003copy.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  45.0 KB

That's all for now. It's been a long two days at "real" work. Thanks!

Tom