Soldering vs. Brazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"I cannot find a recommended air pressure for copper tubing, but 175 psi sounds like a bit beyond what would be recommended."

The rated pressure for 3/4" Type M Annealed is 346 psi at 150F and the burst pressure is about 2350 psi. Type L has a working pressure of 495 psi.

The pressure rating of 3/4" joints with 95/5 tin/antimony solder is 1000 psi, but the rating for 50/50 tin/lead is only 200 psi, so tin/antimony is the best choice for high pressure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those pads are probably only sold by real air compressor shops, at least that's where I found mine. You don't need to anchor the compressor to the floor, it won't walk when it's placed on those pads. They're only about 1/4" thick, but they certainly work. Also, you are talking about 175 psi? That's higher than you will need and will put a bit more stress on the system and your tools. I think 125 psi is a more realistic pressure.

Mike F

Reaction score
You are probably correct. I called Ingersoll-Rand today for some info on impact wrenches. They say that their wrenches are to operate AT 90 psi, so I would need to down-regulate prior to the tool. I was planning on that downregulation being at the point-of-use, however, and not at the compressor outlet prior to the copper plumbing. That is what a few diagrams I had come upon had shown as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks