(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kohler P-trap CP-9033 installation

Default Kohler P-trap CP-9033 installation

Hello,

I have Kohler P-trap model: 9033-CP
    Name:  Kohler CP 9066.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  3.2 KB
    That needs to be installed and the installer told me it cannot be installed with the flange that is supplied as the flange is too shallow.

What he left me with is:
    Name:  kohler_P-trap.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  35.0 KBName:  Kohler_P-trap_01.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  42.5 KB
    I contacted Kohler and got nowhere as they send me a link to installation instructions:
    http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/k.../1108185_2.pdf
    Which are, frankly, not that helpful.

What needs to be done, so this trap can be installed with the flange it came with; I want that look and not the bulky semi-round flange that is typically installed on regular chrome P-traps.

My guess is that he needs to open the wall and install whatever he glued in front of the wall behind the wall plane rather- am I missing something?

Thank you.

From the picture, it looks like he has a "spigot" trap adapter right into a tee which is flush with the wall. if so, there is no way to make it "shallower".
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    From the picture, it looks like he has a "spigot" trap adapter right into a tee which is flush with the wall. if so, there is no way to make it "shallower".
    can this "spigot" trap adapter be recessed into the wall?

Use a deep box flange.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Bottle traps, illegal here in Illinois.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Without knowing what's in the wall, there's no way to tell if it could be moved back easily. It would also require tearing up the wall. If that chromed piece is just decorative trim, you could grind off the nubs on the tubular fitting (Desanko) to make it slightly smaller in diameter (it would make it harder to tighten the fitting up to make the seal with the trap arm, though), but it may still have a gap between the end of the trim and the wall. Keep in mind, to make the seal, that nut on the Desanko must be accessible so it can be tightened down. As Ron indicated, that's a bottle trap, not a P-trap, and in some places, they are not allowed. They are much more prone to getting clogged up with hair and other crud than a p-trap. And, because of the way they are constructed, you cannot run a snake through them to help clean them out.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Without knowing what's in the wall, there's no way to tell if it could be moved back easily. It would also require tearing up the wall. If that chromed piece is just decorative trim, you could grind off the nubs on the tubular fitting (Desanko) to make it slightly smaller in diameter (it would make it harder to tighten the fitting up to make the seal with the trap arm, though), but it may still have a gap between the end of the trim and the wall. Keep in mind, to make the seal, that nut on the Desanko must be accessible so it can be tightened down. As Ron indicated, that's a bottle trap, not a P-trap, and in some places, they are not allowed. They are much more prone to getting clogged up with hair and other crud than a p-trap. And, because of the way they are constructed, you cannot run a snake through them to help clean them out.
    I am CT- anybody who knows whether they are allowed in CT?

quote;can this "spigot" trap adapter be recessed into the wall?

Not if the face of the fitting is flush with the wall, which is what it appears to be.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber