(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Light Pole

  1. #31
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    Avomeen seems to be mainly a chemical-oriented firm. THey do offer specialized litigation support.....there is a word you don't want to hear....the zeros REALLY start clicking up on your bill!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Avomeen seems to be mainly a chemical-oriented firm. THey do offer specialized litigation support.....there is a word you don't want to hear....the zeros REALLY start clicking up on your bill!!!!!!!!!!
    Tell me about it. Do you know how much it cost to design and produce a simple less than 1GPF toilet? try like $25,000.00 I just got of the phone with an investment banker and he want 21% interest 2% from being illegal at that rate each toilet would cost over $900.00 per consumer I would be bankrupt within a month plus my Mc. Mansion Remodel bill. your right the last thing I want to see is zeros. do you know any place cheaper?

  3. #33
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Cameron

    The problem you are going to have with your own pole lights will be a battle between you and your homeowners insurance and the battle will depend on which state you live in. Nothing will transpire unless someone gets hurt or if you decide to sell and a home inspector gets involved.

    The problem with the ones that are installed on someone else’s property is the liability that will fall squarely on your shoulders.

    The Party you get to evaluate you pole lights has already tested the components that the light is constructed from so all that needs to be done is the evaluation unless the fixture is constructed from components that have not been tested.

    The field evaluation will be very costly and time consuming. They might look at only one but they might want to see everyone that you have installed. Then there will be the problem of the ones located away from the property you own.

    At any rate no light fixture can be connected to your power system unless it first has the label from a NTRL. You will need to contact your state to see which NTRLs they recognize.


    This is far different than installing speakers

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Cameron

    The problem you are going to have with your own pole lights will be a battle between you and your homeowners insurance and the battle will depend on which state you live in. Nothing will transpire unless someone gets hurt or if you decide to sell and a home inspector gets involved.

    The problem with the ones that are installed on someone else’s property is the liability that will fall squarely on your shoulders.

    The Party you get to evaluate you pole lights has already tested the components that the light is constructed from so all that needs to be done is the evaluation unless the fixture is constructed from components that have not been tested.

    The field evaluation will be very costly and time consuming. They might look at only one but they might want to see everyone that you have installed. Then there will be the problem of the ones located away from the property you own.

    At any rate no light fixture can be connected to your power system unless it first has the label from a NTRL. You will need to contact your state to see which NTRLs they recognize.


    This is far different than installing speakers
    Oh. I did not know that was what everyone was talking about the lights are wired to a sensor that's plugged into and outdoor socket I can unplug it and move the lights at anytime its not set in stone or hard wired just simply plugged in.

  5. #35
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    I am not sure if you are right. I have other lights with the same design, I personally made them my self. And they have survived hurricane after hurricane and the wind it really unpredictable. I also have some pull in local government and law enforcement in my county and I literality just installed four of theses lamps at no charge to the mayor of my town. I will definitely ask her if it is illegal and if it is I really don't know what I will do, probably petition the government for their ignorance like I have done in the past or have the law mended. However I really appreciate you telling me of this, its always better to here this before it becomes a problem. rest assured the problem with be quickly dissolved.
    and it is around 40 volts not 120.
    Oh. I did not know that was what everyone was talking about the lights are wired to a sensor that's plugged into and outdoor socket I can unplug it and move the lights at anytime its not set in stone or hard wired just simply plugged in.
    How have you got them fastened in place that the wind don't blow them away in a hurricane?




    edited after two days wondering if the question is to hard to answer
    Last edited by jwelectric; 04-14-2013 at 06:04 AM.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    How have you got them fastened in place that the wind don't blow them away in a hurricane?




    edited after two days wondering if the question is to hard to answer
    Sorry I did not know you commented, they are about a foot into the ground. They are not cemented or anything like that. and they have not fallen over or bent etc. They occasionally movie abut an inch in the wind that's about it.

  7. #37
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    Sorry I did not know you commented, they are about a foot into the ground. They are not cemented or anything like that. and they have not fallen over or bent etc. They occasionally movie abut an inch in the wind that's about it.

    1 foot ?

    Wait for a good rain, then you can gather them up.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  8. #38
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    Sorry I did not know you commented, they are about a foot into the ground. They are not cemented or anything like that. and they have not fallen over or bent etc. They occasionally movie abut an inch in the wind that's about it.
    This means that are fastened in place and cord and plug is not allowed as an installation method.

    Many times a Do-it-yourselfer will get a real good idea but although they think their idea is one of the best in the end what they have is a non-compliant mess that looks fairly decent.

    The fact that you can move them easily in no way means that the receptacle is easy to move that you have them plugged into. Please tell me that you are not using a cord for this purpose.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    This means that are fastened in place and cord and plug is not allowed as an installation method.

    Many times a Do-it-yourselfer will get a real good idea but although they think their idea is one of the best in the end what they have is a non-compliant mess that looks fairly decent.

    The fact that you can move them easily in no way means that the receptacle is easy to move that you have them plugged into. Please tell me that you are not using a cord for this purpose.
    No I am not using the cord for that purpose just to power them not to hold them the cord actually runs ground level with leafs on top running through the bush. and the cord is supposed to be weather resistant says the guy at homedepot.
    Wait for a good rain, then you can gather them up.
    We have had many rains some worse than others.

  10. #40
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,633

    Default

    quote; cord is supposed to be weather resistant says the guy at homedepot.

    Now that's a recommendation that should relieve your mind of any possible worries.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  11. #41
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; cord is supposed to be weather resistant says the guy at homedepot.

    Now that's a recommendation that should relieve your mind of any possible worries.

    Most of the people at HD have to pass a test don't they ?

    I would be concerned about rodents chewing on the wire under the Brush and leaves.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Most of the people at HD have to pass a test don't they ?

    I would be concerned about rodents chewing on the wire under the Brush and leaves.
    Yes, that is a concern with most wire.

  13. #43
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Fields View Post
    the cord actually runs ground level with leafs on top running through the bush. and the cord is supposed to be weather resistant
    You are asking for trouble and maybe even a fire. This is a very bad idea.

  14. #44
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    There is no such thing as a weather proof cord. There are weather resistant cords but after time these will fail. There is no cord that is approved to be buried under plants or the leaves of plants. This will cause the cord to deteriorate at a rapid speed.

    The NEC is a bare minimum safety guide line. To do anything less than the requirements of the NEC will constitute an unsafe installation.

    Cords are not to be used in place of a permanent wiring method. These lights are installed by your own statements a foot below grade which is a permanent installation even though they can be easily moved.

    Any cord end cap that is exposed to the elements must be plugged into a receptacle that is weather proof with or without the end cap plugged in. Any circuit installed on the outside for an end cap must be protected by a GFCI device.

    In post #9 you made the comment that the lights were 40 volts. Just how are you getting this voltage? If the transformer is installed in the fixture itself it must be rated for the installation and I don’t know of a 3 to 1 weather proof transformer that can be obtained for any reasonable price. Then there must be an enclosure for this step down transformer as well as for the terminations at the lamp holder.

    There is a very high amount of liability that comes with this type of installation. It doesn’t matter how much pull you have with the mayor or any other law enforcement official. Once you have built and installed these fixtures any damage done due to the lack of listing and labeling of these fixtures will fall squarely on you.

  15. #45
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    Or the FAA if it is a Chinese lantern.
    you pot stirrer, You!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Similar Threads

  1. triplex breaker 20/20/20 single 2 pole 20a, dual COMMON TRIP 1 pole 20a?
    By mrpedal in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
  2. DIY - Split receptacle to light switch and light fixture with 14/2?
    By AJM in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
  3. Pole Vault
    By Southern Man in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2008, 07:07 AM
  4. pilot light wont stay light on furnace
    By possum in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
  5. 1 pole, 2 wire or 2 pole 3 wire switch for water heater?
    By bigtime in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •