(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Moen Drop Ell Installation.

Default Moen Drop Ell Installation.

Any tips on how to install a Moen A725 Drop Ell properly to make sure there are no leaks in the wall while at the same time making sure the ell is flush with the wall and the outlet pointing down?

I have 1/2" 90 degree drop ear elbow in the wall screwed onto a 2x8 that is not going anywhere... When the wall is covered with tile, there is no way to check if that is leaking after install....or is there?

Any help is appreciated.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Els come in solder and threaded...I'm assuming this is a threaded one for the outlet and you're using a screw-in fixture? Just make sure you apply pipe dope and/or tape and tighten things down well. You could screw a brass nipple in there, put a cap on the end, and turn the valve one now, but unless you are going to leave that fitting there, there's no easy way to test it later. That would let you test the other connections to it, though.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Els come in solder and threaded...I'm assuming this is a threaded one for the outlet and you're using a screw-in fixture? Just make sure you apply pipe dope and/or tape and tighten things down well. You could screw a brass nipple in there, put a cap on the end, and turn the valve one now, but unless you are going to leave that fitting there, there's no easy way to test it later. That would let you test the other connections to it, though.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I put a threaded elbow in there since at the time I did not know exactly where the tile would end up. Everything else is tested, I just put a temporary galvanized pipe with a cap just to test things...

See I knew this forum would come in handy... you guys are awesome. Just put the right length brass nipple in there now with a cap to test it, since now I know where the tile will be, and I can get it tight AND flush with the wall...