Template Assisted Crystals (TAC) Water Softeners

Users who are viewing this thread

OC Resident

Reaction score
Newbie here and I plan to install a GAC backwashing system and a water softening system. I was wondering what the experts think about about TAC water softeners which I understand do no require salt. Do they perform as well as the salt-based water softeners? I did a board search and didn't find much discussion about this.

Also, our local water district uses chloramines to treat the water. I was researching online, I read somewhere that a Centaur filter is the only one that removes chloramines - is this accurate? If so, is this the only one I should consider?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Please don't use "water softener" and tac in the same sentence. I sell massive quantities of them and I will be honest. I don't know one guy in the industry who has one at their own house. It is one of the questions I ask during the green technologies section of my seminars. Still no one in the past three years. They can be somewhat effective, sometimes. In general I recommend against them unless the customer hates soft water or are unable to do the salt, or are in a brine restricted area.

OC Resident

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the first part of my question - what about the Centaur filter? Is this the best filter to use in areas where the water is treated with chloramine?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Just about any catalytic type of carbon will do well with Chloramine, contact time is key to its effectiveness.