(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys double check my drainage?

Default Can you guys double check my drainage?

I am remodeling my second floor bathroom. I was hoping you guys could quickly look over anything to make sure I am not missing anything vital.
    Name:  027.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  80.5 KB
    Name:  029.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  030.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  63.5 KB
    Name:  031.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  76.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  55.6 KBName:  034.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  80.0 KB

The most vital thing you're missing is the structural integrity of the floor: it appears you have chopped out large sections of (at least) three of the floor joists to run drain pipes within the space.

Fixing that issue will require you to remove all of the drain piping you've modified / added.

By the way, the electrical connection to those recessed lights is wrong; the incoming wire needs to be secured via a clamp where it enters the junction box.

That belly in the vent where it passes under the toilet drain is an absolute no-no.

The toilet vent is flat and useless. The belly in the vent for the down stairs shower/lav is useless. The notch in the floor joist is not allowed either.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Why do folks think that floor joists are optional?

Is the lav/tub on 1-1/2" or is that 2"? If you used 2", you could have wet vented everything in that bathroom through the lav. I believe that Ohio is on IPC. If so, the distance to vent for the toilet is unlimited.

For the vent with the belly, it should work in most cases (if it stays dry), but inspectors won't like it. It could fill up with rain water or condensation and form a trap, making the vent useless.

I also agree with the others on the structural issues. Those notches are not allowed. It will be especially bad if you are going to tile the floor and the tile/grout will crack with the floor movement.

On the toilet, make sure you get the center on the flange 12" from the finished wall (account for drywall and tile (if wall will be tiled)). If you are short, you will have a harder time finding a toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    The toilet vent is flat and useless. The belly in the vent for the down stairs shower/lav is useless. The notch in the floor joist is not allowed either.
    The toilet vent is sloped as if it were a drain, 1/4 per foot.

The belly in the vent for the downstairs shower/lav may not be up to code, but it still works for the downstairs lav, right? Its above the flood rim of its fixture.

Floor joists had existing notches in them. I just bought the house.

Quote Originally Posted by dlarrivee View Post
    Why do folks think that floor joists are optional?

I ask myself the same thing.
    Last edited by bobby614; 11-01-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nukeman View Post
    Is the lav/tub on 1-1/2" or is that 2"? If you used 2", you could have wet vented everything in that bathroom through the lav. I believe that Ohio is on IPC. If so, the distance to vent for the toilet is unlimited.

For the vent with the belly, it should work in most cases (if it stays dry), but inspectors won't like it. It could fill up with rain water or condensation and form a trap, making the vent useless.

I also agree with the others on the structural issues. Those notches are not allowed. It will be especially bad if you are going to tile the floor and the tile/grout will crack with the floor movement.

On the toilet, make sure you get the center on the flange 12" from the finished wall (account for drywall and tile (if wall will be tiled)). If you are short, you will have a harder time finding a toilet.

Yes, the lav/tub is on 1-1/2".

I believe Ohio requires a vent if a toilet is more than 6' away from stack. Its roughly 5' so I might go ahead and eliminate the vent for the toilet and cap it?

With the structural issues, I plan on sistering the joists the best that I can. They are non-loadbearing, and have been this way for 12+ years, no sagging or structural issues have came up.

Yes, I do plan on tiling. 3/4 CDX plywood, DITRA, and mosaic porcelain tile. Deflection rating can be lower than normal.

The toilet drain is roughly 15" away from wall. I plan on getting one of the TOTOs with unifit. I did not want to hack through the joist to make it a 12" rough in.
    Last edited by bobby614; 11-01-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby614 View Post
    Yes, I do plan on tiling. 3/4 CDX plywood, DITRA, and mosaic porcelain tile. Deflection rating can be lower than normal.
    It would help the structure if you glue and screw the plywood subfloor to the joists.

The flat vent that Tom mentions is because a vent cannot go horizontal until it is at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served. In the eyes of the code, anything less than 45* is "horizontal".

Your tub is not vented. If that lav drain was 2", it would have been okay and considered wet vented.

For the vent with the belly, the issue is that it can fill with water over time (even with it not being a drain). As I mentioned, rain water and condensation could fill that belly and make it into a trap. At that point, the vent would no longer work.

As to the toilet vent, see Section 906 of your plumbing code:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A3-9

The distance to the vent for a toilet (water closet) is unlimited.

I'm not a plumber, but I think that I would cut all that out, use 2" on the lav to wet vent the bathroom group, fix the joists, and see about moving the toilet or re-routing the plumbing to avoid hacking the joists.

That toilet ell doesn't even look like a drainage fitting: no good. Also, your flange is WAY too low: it needs to sit
    on top of the finished floor.

This is an excellent example of why a novice DIY should not attempt a major plumbing job. PVC makes it look so simple...like building with Tinker Toys (Legos for the younger generation) Just cut and paste. You have made a major boo boo and it's going to cost you everything you've done plus. There's no getting around the fact that this will not pass inspection and there is no fixing a couple of things to make it OK. Pretty blunt I know, but what else is there.

It doesn't matter if the vent for the toilet is pitched or not, it's still illegal and useless. Vents must rise vertical until they are a minimum of 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served (the lav) The dip in the downstairs vent WILL fill with condensation and become useless in short order. Just because the notch is there is not a reason to continue the madness and in fact, since you have the floor open should have afforded you the opportunity to make the repair. The plumbing inspector and building inspector are going to make you fix it anyway.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]