(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Superstorm Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Close call Bob. That is one big tree. Did they find any bones under that tree? Like the one in Conn.

I had one 90 footer, and one 70 footer, both in the back area of my property, both pine, cut down a few years back. Directly, next to my house another large pine, about 60 ft, cut down. I try to manage the trees, thinking ahead of microbursts, storms, and tornadoes. I got 3 to go.

I think I anger the birds, because, they take it out on my car. I drive a poop mobile.
    No, birds have no respect Cookie; I have 5 bird feeders in the backyard, they still crap all over the place. Stupid birdbrains. They even crap all over the bird feeders. Why then do I feed them? Because they're pretty to look at.

THAT tree was 15 miles away from me, so not a close call. I have a huge twin Oak in front of the house that was twiting and bending like a palm tree in a hurricane, but miraculously, it did not break in half like the one around the corner from me did, and it is still laying there across the road. "Ambulance chaser" tree guys come talk to the home owners, but so far, no town crews or utility crews have come looked at it, and it is pulling down power, phone and cable lines to the ground. Somehow, they just stretched and did not snap.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

That guy with the tree was lucky that it didn't fall the other way. Looked like a tall tree, with roots that size. But, you were so lucky in that it was that bad and you didn't have damage I think, others did. Or did you have damage? Trees are great, but, sometimes, preventive measures are best. The two of mine up front weigh down the wires, that is why they are going, they have been pruned more than enough and one is kind of hollow in a spot. I will replace them with something which wont get that tall again.
    Last edited by Cookie; 11-01-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Terrible. I have a fireproof box where I have my insurance papers, marriage license, birth certificates, and certain pictures I would want not to be destroyed.

Last Christmas I got my son one. It's a thoughtful present for your loved ones, if they don't have one.
    The fire safes are great, but they all have a rating for time in a fire that the contents will survive, depending on the material of the contents.

Besides that fact, even if the contents survived the fire, those scum-sucking looters will take the box thinking they contain valuables. The boxes would not survive those fires in Breezy Point, NY unless they had a multi-hour rating, I would think.

Here is a typical model we might purchase:
    http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/2...ion__FIRE-SAFE_

pricing:

http://www.costco.com/First-Alert-Re....11731633.html ,

but Costco's First Alert has only a one hour rating, but the sentry safe model I listed has a 2 hour rating.

either one, those guys will take it away, even if it was bolted to the floor that is no longer there.

Me, a pessimist? MOI? Lol, yes! But I have a few of these boxes myself full of important papers anyway.

Safe deposit boxes at the bank too, could be useful.

I look at things this way, Bob, you can only give it your best shot. Only so much you can do, and only so much you can try. The rest is the luck of the draw.

Today is Tim's birthday, my husband I lost, he would had been 57 today. I would give everything I own to have one more moment with him. So, you see, what really matters.

Safe deposit boxes at the bank too, could be useful.

I look at things this way, Bob, you can only give it your best shot. Only so much you can do, and only so much you can try. The rest is the luck of the draw.

Today is Tim's birthday, my husband I lost, he would had been 57 today. I would give everything I own to have one more moment with him. So, you see, what really matters.
    Yes, I do know what really matters, and my wife and I discussed it yesterday that our lives and our health is what it is.

Happy Birthday Tim up in Heaven; Cookie misses you; keep smiling down on her and keep her safe.

That is very sweet of you Bob.

That is very sweet of you Bob.
    You are welcome Cookie

Latest updates here:
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/l...ated-1.4179735

Its sickening; the gasoline waiting lines are unreal for blocks, and most gas stations still have no power.

That is very bad Bob. Now, I guess is the time for people, to stay home as much as possible until, things improve. Or, car pool to work and school. I always check on my neighbors here, even, the nasty one, lol. I figure I will someday get my reward someday.

Are you near the Long Island medium? I wonder why she didn't see this coming with the storm! But, I have a few questions I want to ask her, someday.

That is very bad Bob. Now, I guess is the time for people, to stay home as much as possible until, things improve. Or, car pool to work and school. I always check on my neighbors here, even, the nasty one, lol. I figure I will someday get my reward someday.

Are you near the Long Island medium? I wonder why she didn't see this coming with the storm! But, I have a few questions I want to ask her, someday.
    Actually she (Long Island Medium) is only a few miles from here. The weather foecasters knew what was going to happen more than a week before it hit. The power company twiddled their thumbs all that time. Now our Governor, Andrew Cuomo is considering firing all their executives, as they are a publicly owned utility, not a private company.

I am so glad we are the "bestest" of friends, Maybe, you could sneak her my questions, and then, tell me what she said!

Now, it is GREAT to hear things are going better in NY. Less people without power, and, what would had been the runners are helping out... things will work out, always does. Just takes time.
    Last edited by Cookie; 11-04-2012 at 03:23 PM.

I am so glad we are the "bestest" of friends, Maybe, you could sneak her my questions, and then, tell me what she said!

Now, it is GREAT to hear things are going better in NY. Less people without power, and, what would had been the runners are helping out... things will work out, always does. Just takes time.
    Not so fast Cookie! The gas lines are getting worse, the nights are getting colder, the people are getting nastier. Fights break out at gas stations due to people "jumping the line". It is not a comfortable situation to be in. Ever see the old movie "Escape From NY" (1981)? Its like that now. Well it seems almost like it to me. Stressful, even to a native New Yorker.

Still 250,000 people without power on Long Island alone.

Now, Bob, if I can weather Shingles for the 4th time, I think, I lost count, you can find that "medium" in the gas line, lol. I am getting my questions ready,

... and, for that junk on the net about getting Shingles once? That is a crock. I got more shingles than a roof.

Their is a time for everything, now, is the time to stay indoors, out of gas lines especially, as much as possible. Anyone who has sick time, vacation time should maybe, consider using it.

Their is a time for everything, now, is the time to stay indoors, out of gas lines especially, as much as possible. Anyone who has sick time, vacation time should maybe, consider using it.
    You got that right! I already told my boss (cough, cough!) I'll be ill when my tank is below 1/4 full
    Last edited by BobL43; 11-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Now, Bob, if I can weather Shingles for the 4th time, I think, I lost count, you can find that "medium" in the gas line, lol. I am getting my questions ready,

... and, for that junk on the net about getting Shingles once? That is a crock. I got more shingles than a roof.
    Maybe she has a personal shopper on line for her. Right now, I might pay somebody 25 bucks an hour to stay on line for me. Of course it would have to be somebody I could trust with my truck and upfront monet to buy the gas. That's a laugh in itself. Most gasoline lines are over 2 hour waits. here is some info from Hess Gasoline as to inventories at their stations

http://hessexpress.com/FuelInformation You can see the inventories for Long Island, NY stations look pretty dismal.
    Cookie, did you ever get a Shingles vaccination before your first time, if it was available?
    Last edited by BobL43; 11-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.