(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Is my gas valve on or off in this position?

Default Is my gas valve on or off in this position?

The gas dryer that was connected to this valve was recently sold and before that the yellow valve was in north and south position. So before disconnecting the end that goes to the dryer I turned the value to the way it is showing right now in the picture attached. Since the flow of the gas comes in and then outlet is going up having the value in this position is in the off state correct? Or should it be in the north and south position? I'm a bit confused here on the actual flow of the gas here since it comes from the wall, but then makes a 90 degrees turn up instead of just going straight forward like it does for water heater. I think if the outlet was just connected straight on then the position that the valve is in right now would be open correct?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

that's on.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

IT could be either. Which way does the handle turn? Usually CCW is on and CW is off. If the dryer is gone and the gas is not flowing out, it must be off, or if it is 90 degrees from where it was when the dryer was working, that also should mean it is off. But, in any case, unless you are going to reconnect a dryer, the valve or supply pipe should be capped to prevent accidentally turning it back on.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    IT could be either. Which way does the handle turn? Usually CCW is on and CW is off. If the dryer is gone and the gas is not flowing out, it must be off, or if it is 90 degrees from where it was when the dryer was working, that also should mean it is off. But, in any case, unless you are going to reconnect a dryer, the valve or supply pipe should be capped to prevent accidentally turning it back on.
    The hand turns counterclockwise...so a 90 degree turn would have the long end in at the 12 o'clock position instead of the 3 o'clock position that it is in right now. What is CCW and CW? Before disconnecting it was 90 degrees from where it was...so at that 12 o'clock position with the long end that has the marking. I was bit confused myself at first since if the outlet was inline from how it is coming out from the wall then it would be in the on position like it is now, but since the outlet comes from the wall and then that t fitting is at 90 degrees I assume the flow is now in that direction so when the valve is in the 12 o'clock position it would parallel with it which would mean on and now since it is perpendicular it is off. Is that correct?

Also if it was on I would have noticed it right away with a strong gas odor or somewhat detect the gas flow coming from the connection if I held up the line close to me correct?

CCW = counterclockwise
    CW = clockwise

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    CCW = counterclockwise
    CW = clockwise
    So then it is in the off position right now if the valve moves only 90 degrees CCW (which it was before the dryer was disconnected) which puts the lond end at 12 o'clock and 90 degrees CW (3 o'clock position right now) which the valve was moved to after being disconnected.

I'm a bit confused since here it seems to be the opposite of what CCW and CW should be:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/heati...alve_onoff.htm
    Last edited by joemann; 10-29-2012 at 08:05 AM.

I would think you would hear and smell it if it were on!

It does need to be capped anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebinky View Post
    I would think you would hear and smell it if it were on!

It does need to be capped anyway.
    You are talking about capping the other end of the silver supply line that was connected to the old dryer? The new dryer will be delivered tomorrow to be installed. Any problems with not capping it until then?

Quote Originally Posted by joemann View Post
    You are talking about capping the other end of the silver supply line that was connected to the old dryer? The new dryer will be delivered tomorrow to be installed. Any problems with not capping it until then?
    Ah, that is a different story. It only needs to be capped if you are going to stop using it. If the dryer was working and you then turned the valve 90 degrees before unhooking it, it should be off -- unless you have small children...