Is this an acceptable fit for FIP gas valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe Giradio

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie home owners here seeking advice.

I need to replace the dryer in my home. It's an old house and the previous owner was using a 5/8 inch pipe so it was difficult to find an adapter. I THINK I found an adapter that can convert to 1/2 inch. (I won't know for sure until the delivery this saturday when I try to install it).

Anyway, because of the age of the system, the existing appliance valve is stuck (thick layer of paint and what looks like rust) and I am hesitant to force it because it looks like using too much force could break it, so I intend to install an additional valve downstream, right before the dryer connection. I have a 1/2 FIP x 1/2 FIP shutoff valve.

I am trying to connect the valve to the excess flow valve which then connects to the tube that will connect to the dryer. Both have 1/2 inch MIP connections, which theoretically should fit the FIP valve. The threads do seem to fit, but the valve connection is shallow and the male pieces cannot go all the way in. Please see photo. Is this acceptable and safe?

Thank you.

20231016_224543a.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're missing the thread tape or pipe dope on the the tapered pipe thread joint.
Hand assembly tells you nothing. And tapered pipe joint fittings NEVER "go all the way".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
right need the pipe dope , and or tape. the special fitting I dont use . I use regular gas flare adapters made for the connection but not that "excess flow valve"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks