(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: KDF Application

Default KDF Application

Hello,

I am looking for more information on using KDF-85 on a sulfur containing well water. I would like to know how well this works in conjunction with a GAC filter to provide filtered drinking water.

Thank You,
    Brian

IMO the best choice would be chlorination followed by Centaur carbon. GAC is not a good choice for H2S.

KDF requires very high flow rates to backwash it and most private well water systems, and the pumps used, can not do it correctly.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

KDF85 works very well for H2S removal, but... it requires considerable backwash water to do this. Check out the links, these will have the exact specifications you need to determine if KDF85 is right for you. If you have the backwash water available, then it may be an excellent choice and will provide many years of service, with very little maintenance. It is also an expensive media, but since many customers can get away with just using a single backwash tank without any chemicals, contact tanks, etc, the price may not be so bad.

http://www.kdfft.com/success_hydrogen.htm
    http://www.kdfft.com/images/kdf_POESheet.pdf

Due to the pump in the well, I have no where near enough power for a proper back-flush. That is why I am looking to set up a small system for a small point of use. This filter setup would be for a water tap on a sink. In addition to this, I like experimenting with things. What I am looking for is getting 2 10" cartridge filter housings, a refillable cartridge, and a 1 micron ceramic filter. What I would like to experiment with is using a combination of the KDF-85 and some sort of carbon in the refillable cartridge, then after have the ceramic filter. The ceramic filter to clean out the IRB and what ever precipitates there will be, such as the copper monosulfide and ferric hydroxide.

Brian

Take a look at this http://www.lancasterpump.com/documen...torAquaNue.pdf I am having very good results with it thus far.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]