Low Head Grinder

Users who are viewing this thread

johnasb

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade a 1/2 hp 120v sewage pump in a single family residential lift station with a 2" vertical lift of 8-10' then directly to a gravity sewage pipe.

This house is tenant occupied and I don't want to deal with clogs from feminine products, etc., so I am looking at grinder pumps, such as the Little Giant 2HP 230v.

Expensive yes (seeing as cheap as $900 and maybe I can do the labor), but beats the hassle and tenant issues of even 2 or 3 service calls (already had one).

Problem is the low head. Talked to a couple companies that say it's a problem that will burn out the pump. One suggested a ball valve to increase the apparent head on the pump.

Prefer a centrifugal rather than a progressive cavity type pump: http://www.commonwealth-engineers.com/grinder-pumps

Appreciate any suggestions/recommendations on a low head grinder pump or head increasing valve?

Thanks.

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
grinders need a minimum of 30 feet head, i personally would not want to choke it down with a ball valve as it possible would clog up. Tsurumi has a 1hp cutter pump that should fit your needs. You can solve the situation by letting women tenants know that they should not flush feminine napkins. A good mascerating pump will do the job, a tampon however can stop any pump even a grinder.

White mice are every sewage pump installers nightmare!

johnasb

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Finally got time to research some more.

The Tsurumi cutter 50C2.75S, 115v single phase, looks like the one.

Someone else also suggested a full vortex Liberty but I'd feel better with the cutter.

While it's easy to tell a tenant not to flush certain items (it's even in their contract), the message doesn't get passed to guests and kids very well if at all.
And it can be hard to prove what clogged the pump when the item is mostly destroyed and ejected.
And it's a bad selling point for a high end tenant.
This seems like good insurance to me.

Thanks Again!

bcpumpguy

Reaction score
Your gonna like that tsurumi, they are absolutely amazing pumps. I'm feeling sorry about your pocket book though.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks