At wits end with plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

nickig83

Reaction score
First a history of the house. The house I live in was originally my boyfriends grandfather's. It is very very old since my boyfriend is 41 and his grandfather past away many years ago. Never had a problem with the plumbing until now.

About a week and a half ago, my drains and toilet were draining very very slow. Toilet almost overflowing if flushed to soon after being flushed once. Called roto rooter. They told us that the cleanout in the backyard was not connected to anything. That the auger had ended up in our basement. Checked the basement and sure enough the pipe lead nowhere. So after digging up the backyard, we found that indeed it is not connected to the existing pipe along side the house. That is it in fact the old pipe that leaded to the old system, no longer connected or functional. We tore up the toilet, snaked the pipe nothing. Replaced toilet nothing. So we started checking the pipes in the backyard in case one on the new line was collapsed. We actually find one that had a slight leak, so we tore it up and found a huge clog in it. As we did this we found that the venting pipe, which runs up the side of the house, was not attached. Later boyfriend admitted that he took it off the side of house when he did the roof and never put it back on, not knowing what it was for. However that was many many years ago. We replaced this and also installed a new cleanout for later down the road. Everything was going great, no backups, no slow draining, or flushing. Took quick showers that night, no baths. The next day, problem reappeared when a bath was taken. Draining faster now but toilet gurgling with very big bubbles, sometimes causing splashes. We snaked vent, we snaked new cleanout with a 100' mainline rod. Clean as a whistle. Not sure what to do now.
Diagram of line. One level. Not an artist or engineer. But hope it helps.
sewer.jpg

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Sounds like a full septic tank to me
Yes, and that tank is likely full because the old field system is shot. Your best bet is to call a contractor who services septic systems and have an overall evaluation done along with possibly cleaning the tank. Pumping the tank might make things work for a day or two until the tank fills back up again, but cleaning it will be necessary (unless it gets replaced) to help protect your field system if it (the field system) can be made to work again. And after everything has been repaired, remember this rule for houses with septic systems: With the exception of single-ply tissue, never flush anything you have not first eaten.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless I missed something in the original posting, I do not see anything about a "septic tank/system". A septic system, unless it was a very unusual installation would NOT need a 100' snake, and if you did use one, it would normally have tangled itself inside the tank. I have a hard time following your digging and repairing thread, but maybe you need a 110' snake, or longer. But then, we can not be sure you had the "right" 100' snake or that it was used properly. I tell my customers who want to DIY, "just remember to stop about a minute before you reach your level of incompetence, or you will probably turn a simple job into a project". You seem to have reached that level and it is time to call someone who knows what he is doing.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I would recommend calling any other plumber/drain cleaner but defiantly stay away from roto-rooter, kangarooter ARS, and any of the guys that have full page ads and are national chains. Look at your local BBB site find a good family owned shop. They will fix it right for you the first time. But when you do call them ask them if they have a camera system so they can televise your line to see what can be causing the blockage after they get the lined cleared.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully there are some missing connections on your drawing. EACH fixture should have its own line to the vent. They can combine above the flood plane of the highest device (typically 6" above or 42", whichever is higher - often in the attic). Now, there are some exceptions, but they can get a bit specific.

nickig83

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think we are going to call someone. Unfortunately not sure if there are any other pipes since they are inside the walls. All I know of is what I drew in the diagram.

BizzyBeePlumbing

Reaction score
Sounds like a camera inspection is needed also. I agree with Ron, call a friend, get a referall of a licensed plumber and have them come and check it out. you need professional help and it sounds like to many weekend warriors touched things they shouldnt have in that house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks