Thread: retrofit a water softner to become an iron filter

Default retrofit a water softner to become an iron filter

Name:  SAM_0865.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  65.2 KBName:  SAM_0866.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  57.2 KBName:  SAM_0867.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  58.1 KBCan I retrofit a softner by changing the media and settings on the existing valve? I am replacing a failed MacCleens unit, I also have aquired 3 old softners One 3210 valve and timer, two 3200 manual timer. Also the maccleens unit has a 2510, but it leaks and needs to be rebuilt. Ihave two 9x44 tanks and 1 12x48 (old MacCleens unit)
    Last edited by jocko11; 08-30-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added pics

All three that are in the photos are Fleck 5600 valves, two day clock and one meter and all three can be rebuilt.

There are a few things that would have to be removed to turn one or more into a filter valve... non softener valve ..

If you use the Maclean valve there is that collar that screw on to the valve but uses a clamp to hold it to the media tank, that will screw off if you are wishing to use it on a non Maclean tank.

the valve on the MacCleens is a brass valve that is held on with two screws to the base also brass. Does this base unscrew? If I can use that valve and timer on a different tank, then, how do size the tank? Where is a good place to order a rebuild kit for the valve, and order the gravel, and media(filox)? Or do I rebuild the valve and use the MacCleens tank?

That sounds like an old Fleck 2500, the body and the part that normally would screw into the tank are held by two screws.

Is that valve in the photo?

no I didn't take a photo of that. But i belive that is it, as you described. I will need a rebuild kit for that, and assume the seals and piston are the same as the 2510. I have removed the valve and the housing from the maccleens tank, and flushed out the media and gravel that was left. I can reuse that tank (12x48) or I have another tank (9x41). What are the capacities, and how much new media do I need for either tank? Would one work better than the other. I want to use the new filox media.

The Fleck 2500 and the 2510 are the same save for the in out and that one is brass and the other is plastic... out side of that they take the same parts on a rebuild.

The 12x48 tank can hold 2 cubic foot of media while the 9x42 is only 1 cubic foot of media.

So the question is what is the water quality and what is the flow rate from the well?

If the iron is above 3ppm and you have 10gpm from the well then you could use the filox with 2cubic and the 12x48, other wise it is the other tank with less media.

the iron is well above 3ppm, flow is about 6.5 gpm. Does that dictate the smaller tank?

If you are going to use the Filox then yes...
    It might have to backwash once a day ..

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post

If the iron is above 3ppm and you have 10gpm from the well then you could use the filox with 2cubic and the 12x48, other wise it is the other tank with less media.
    I thought with a 12" diameter, the minimum backwash flow rate is 12gpm cold water and 17gpm warm water.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

The manual for my iron filter states:
    To ensure an adequate flow for backwashing the filter media, please ensure the following: 10” tank, 5GPM; 12” tank, 7 GPM; 13” tank, 10GPM. If inadequate backwash flow rates are used, the filter media will not be flushed properly and will eventually become plugged with iron and fail.
    A head designed for water softening would have considerably smaller ports for backwashing as the resin is much lighter than the media used for iron filters.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    The manual for my iron filter states:

A head designed for water softening would have considerably smaller ports for backwashing as the resin is much lighter than the media used for iron filters.
    Is that for filox or Filter Ag. I would agree with Filter Ag, which is much lighter than filox.

http://www.premium-water-filters.com...ts/Filox-R.pdf
    Last edited by water solutions; 09-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

Those flow rates are for Pumicite which while light, is not as light as resin beads. My softener (which has the same AutoTrol head but different port sizes) has flow rates less than half what the iron filter does.

It all comes down to the specs of media, some are more some are less...
    Some have a bed depth, and then there is the free board.
    Clack MTM has a specitic gravity of 2.0gm/cc while granet can have a specitic gravity of 4.0 and thus need more to back wash.
    The Filox is 110lbs to the cubic foot, softener resin is 50lbs to the cubic foot, carbon for the most part is at about 24lbs to the cubic..

Bottom line,,,,,,,,,, NOT ALL MEDIA is the same....

i ordered two bags of filox media, and a seal and piston kit for the fleck 2500. Plan on using the 1 cu tank with that valve. How much head space should there be from top to media?

Should I also think about increasing the time of the backwash cycle? It appears that you can do this by adding more pins on the back of the timer.