(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dropped well cap backing plates down the well, HELP!

Angry Dropped well cap backing plates down the well, HELP!

So I decided to chlorinate my well the other day and as I was standing outside the hole contemplating how I was going to get in my wife comes out and offers to help so I naturally sent her down in the hole.
    Unfortunetly I didn't know what I was doing and when she removed the bolts (which I realize now that we shouldn't have removed) the bolts and pulled the cap the backing plate dropped down the well.
    Can I use a magnet and a long stirng to retrieve it or will the magnent just stick to the sides of the well? How bad would it be to just leave them down there?
    Should I call a well company, attempt my magnet on a string trick, or just leave them alone at the bottom of the well?I don't know exactly how deep the well is but I'm guessing 150-200 feet, its a 6" bore. It's a jet pump that is located in the basement.
    Last edited by CT-Sean; 08-01-2011 at 06:01 AM.

with the pump and the pipe and the wires and all that are down there and the well being a 150' deep or so, you have no chance of getting anything back. Leave it and put a new cap on.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Default Thanks.

Ok, thank you, It is actually a jet pump so there is no pump and no wires in the well, just two pipes going down there. Do you still think theres no chance? Is there any chance that the plates will rust and clog the intake over time?
    Last edited by CT-Sean; 08-01-2011 at 06:13 AM.

It would be good luck if the plates fell to the bottom. If they didn't, they may wedge and keep you from pulling the pipe next time. It is hard to use a magnet with steel casing, but with plastic casing you may be able to get it.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

with only 2 pipes and the plate smaller than the well diameter, seems like it will just ride up with the pipes.