(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toro Jar Top Solenoid Valve Installation

Hybrid View

Default Toro Jar Top Solenoid Valve Installation

Hello: Great site with lots of good info!

We moved into a house with a Toro irrigation system. The valves installed are Toro jar top inline valves (53708) (see attached picture). Is there a trick to installing the solenoid. It screws in fine if I take out the solenoid plunger, but with the plunger in, the threads just don't make contact.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It takes a little downward pressure to engage the threads because of the spring. Just be persistent and careful not to cross-thread the solenoid and you will get it in time. I know it's frustrating at times but almost all solenoids have the same trouble.

K11,

I use the same valves in part of my system, and I have found that the plunger must be the exact type as belongs in that valve or else the threads won't engage. something with the length of the plunger I guess. I am not an irrigation tech, but over the years I have installed and replaced lots of Genie, and Toro valves and have gained lots of frustration and experience with them. I can't argue with a pro, but I am just posting from my experience. Any brand new toro Jartop valve I ever opened and re-assembled without losing or mixing up parts always went back together for me with no problem at all.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

I tried it again this morning and I still can't seem to get the threads to meet. The plunger is the original one that came out of the solenoid and I checked a good valve to make sure I was installing the parts correctly. (Had no problem re-installing the good one.)

Is it possible that the solenoid is U/S? The system was working fine last year, but when I tried turning it on in the spring some were leaking, and I noticed they looked like they were slightly pushed out and seem to be cross threaded.

Then I guess they were not properly drained/winterized and ice damaged them. Normally, though, the valve body would crack, but it depends on where there was remaining water.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

We did blow out the system, but I think that the compressor we had may have been under powered for the job. I will try getting new solenoids and see how that goes. Thanks for the help!

I just had to replace a solenoid in an older model toro jar-top valve today and found that the right one is the toro 89-0114. Although the toro catalog says a universal solenoid will work the book is wrong. I think this could be why your having problems getting the new solenoid to seat.