Mold-Mildew Resistant Grout?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanBoston

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a tried-and-true grout out there for tiling bathroom shower stalls that is mold and mildew resistant?

I am considering using the Swanstone shower kit or tiling a new shower stall in my basement and am very concerned about mold and mildew. I hear that the Swanstone products are very good in regards to resistance to mold and mildew.

However, I am also concerned that the Swanstone panels will start coming off the walls in about 10 years, whereas, tile is pretty much maintenance free (other than potential mold-mildew issues).

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The one thing to remember with mold and mildew is that it requires a food source. Eliminating the source of spores, the moisture, and the food, go a long way in preventing mold and mildew.

One can also use products with mildewcide in it. There are good mildew resistant paints, silicone seal, and grout additives like Grout Boost.
www.groutboost.com/pdfs/GB_AdvncPro_FAQ.pdf

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Why would the swanstone panels come off in ten years??

You can use the best products out there, but grout and caulk will be a maintenance item. You can't just ignore the fact the they need to be cleaned on a fairly regular basis, and if you allow high humidity, nothing will stop the mold. The BEST product to spend a little money on in a bathroom is a top quality fan....quiet and HIGH cfm

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some grouts that come with mold inhibitors built-in, whether you can use the addatives to any grout is an open question, and it may have variable results. If you can minimize at least one required item, mold can't grow (moisture, spores, food). By far, the easiest to minimize is moisture followed by food (regular cleaning). Not much you can do about the spores, they're almost literally everywhere. A shower built with a surface membrane means less subsurface can get wet so the whole shower dries out quicker. If you want your grout to be long-term mold free, then consider an expoxy based one - lots more money, but then, you won't be replacing it either. The simplest thing to minimize mold in a shower is to wipe the walls and floor after done...most won't do that, so good ventillation is probably the most convenient (put the fan on a timer or humidistat so it actually runs long enough to do its job).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks