Flushing procedure for Toto Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Installed a Toto Drake toilet yesterday because of the good reviews for it on this web site. This is the first 1.6 gal/flush toilet in our home.

Pressing the flush handle normally results in a quick flush using only part of the water in the tank while holding the handle down longer results in all of the water in the tank being flushed. Is there a rule of thumb for when to hold the handle down for a longer flush?

Thanks,
HRG

jiawa

Reaction score
A "quick flush" is always sufficient for me. I haven't experience a single instance which needs to hold the handle down longer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Same as jiawa's reply. I have two Toto toilets, one is a Drake and the other a Dartmouth which is essentially the same mechanically as a Drake. The only time we have used the Big Flush is when cleaning the bowl, and even then it probably hasn't been truly necessary.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All of the new low-flow toilets use the additional water in the tank to boost the pressure available and it is NOT designed to empty the tank. So, press fully, then let go...no need to hold it down. If you do, you'll use a lot more water and not gain much of anything.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Jiawa, Gary and Jadnashua,

Thanks for clarifying the Drake's flushing procedure. We'll just do quick flushes and see how it goes.

Keep it warm all,
HRG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Totos and some others with the large flush valve opening, use a little water very quickly to produce the proper flush. Therefore, you flush them by pushing the handle down and releasing it.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
The Totos and some others with the large flush valve opening, use a little water very quickly to produce the proper flush. Therefore, you flush them by pushing the handle down and releasing it.

Thanks for explaining the theory. Helps to know how things work in case problems develop in the future.

Keep it warm,
HRG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks