(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: material for shower stall ceiling...

Default material for shower stall ceiling...

I'm hopefully going to create a shower stall that is normal height (8') with tiles going up the walls to 7'. I don't plan on tiling the last foot nor the ceiling. What material should i use for the ceiling? That is, should it be the 'green' moisture resistant drywall or the cement board. Just thinking if i use cement board it might be hard getting a good finish on it without lots of mud?

THoughts?

Thx
    Ron

It is not necessary to use cement board, and I am not sure code allows greenboard on the ceiling, because it is structurally not adequate. PAINT is what you put on the ceiling. A good coat of quality semigloss, and ventilation....get about twice as many CFM as you though you need!

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It is not necessary to use cement board, and I am not sure code allows greenboard on the ceiling, because it is structurally not adequate. PAINT is what you put on the ceiling. A good coat of quality semigloss, and ventilation....get about twice as many CFM as you though you need!
    Good advice Jimbo.

I believe that Green Dry Wall or Moisture resistant drywal is allowed in a shower above 6' and on the ceiling. Your framing members will need to be on 16" centers but 12" centers would be better on the ceiling.
    There is a product called Green EBoard that we have been using with great success and this is a step up from Green Dry Wall.

Make sure you remove all dust from the ceiling from drywalling. Use a great primer like Zissner Yellow Label (Cover Stain) and a good SemiGloss like Jimbo suggested. In the bathroom I like to use Oil based paints that require paint thinner to clean up. There are many good latex bathroom paints but I have yet to find one that competes with an "Old School" Semi Gloss Oil....

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Normal greenboard is no longer in the national (US) codes for use in damp areas...either drywall if 'dry' or cbu if 'wet'. Local codes may not have adopted this yet, so you have to abide by their rules. Greenboard's facing isn't as strong as drywall's, and can sag on a ceiling if not supported at 12" intervals, which usually means stapping, and a resulting lower ceiling height in that room which is also a pain. So, regular drywall, with a good coat of paint and adequate ventilation.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks all for the quick and helpful replies

Ron