Question about water supply pipe location for toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

garlandk77

Reaction score
I am considering two different toilets. The spec sheet for toilet A shows the water supply located 5.5 inches from the floor and 5.25 inches from center.

Spec sheet for toilet B shows the water supply 10 inches from the floor and 6 inches from center.

Are the measurements on the spec sheet intended to be the MAXIMUM distance , the MINIMUM distance, or just a recommended distance.

The water supply pipe on the wall next to my toilet is 7.5 inches from the floor and 5 inches from the center of the toilet. So I'm trying to figure out what toilet I can buy without moving the water pipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The distances are the ideal. You use a flexible supply line to make the connections, so you will be fine with almost any toilet.

PlumbPowerHouse

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbingsolutionsllc.com
When I do new construction, we have a standard of 5 inches to the left, 9 inches up. This accounts for floor and baseboard and it keeps the supply out of plain sight. You don't want your supply line to be the first thing you see when you look at your toilet. Also, agreeing with Gary, use a flexible (preferablly stainless-steel braided) supply line so that it won't make much difference no matter what toilet you choose.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
These days, there are a lot if "unique" toilets, such as the skirted types, where the location is critical. Otherwise, it is somewhat a matter of convenience. For example, if you put it too low and use a tall toilet, then 'regular' 12" lines might be too short, and if you put it too high, you night need some awkward twists to line up the flex,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With the common toilets being about 15" to the bottom of the tank, a water supply at 10" above the floor could create an interesting situation to make a connection. I always install them about 6-8 inches up. The supply line will ALWAYS be visible, regardless of where the valve is located.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks