Advice needed on new well pump & water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

pjh

Reaction score
I plan on upgrading two upstairs bathrooms (new showers) and would like to increase the overall water pressure. Currently have a 80+ foot well with 1/2 HP pump (5 year old) and water softner as part of the system. Water pressure has always been constant - we never run out of water - but nothing great. Plumber wants to install new 3/4 hp Goulds 18 gpm continuous operation pump. We also have copper pipes that have sprung leaks over the years so he is recommending 1" plex from the basement to the second level of the house. I want to do this right. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

pjh

Reaction score
Yes, he said he looked at the original spec when the well was dug (21 years ago). Does the proposal and equipment make sense knowing that there is Home Master Water Softener installed on the system. We noticed a drop in the pressure after it was installed 5 years ago, will improving the input to the "softener" make any difference in the pressure of what "comes out" ?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are going to have a certain amount of pressure drop through any filter or softner. The more pressure you put in, the more you should get out. Get your plumber to supply a list of references from people who have had that particular "constant pressure pump" for more than 5 years. I am sure he won't be able to do this, so you should stay away from those variable speed pumps. They were designed for the manufacturer and plumber to make a lot of money on, and guess where that money comes from? You!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks