pex in the ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmaction

jmaction
Reaction score
can I use pex under ground. I am making the leap to pex. I have a deal on Pex-b and I need to run a line 3000' I was going to burry it about 3 feet. Is this Ok?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Pex is not approved for use below ground. You are talking about a MAJOR length of piping which will have to be sized properly to account for friction losses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Pex is not approved for use below ground.

If that were true then there are a lot of radiant heating jobs which are in trouble, and even more houses with the PEX under the slabs. But that distance is WAY too long for any size PEX you can find.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I guess I should have said PEX is not approved for direct burial in a potable water system HERE. I don't know about everywhere else.

Last edited:

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
If you are under the IPC, the 2006 code says you can use PEX for water service pipe or from the meter to the point of distribution. I don't know how many GPM you are thinking about but I think the size for PEX may be limited to 2" or so max. Why not PVC for Service water pipe (note cold water)? For 3000' you better be sure you have good water pressure to start with and figure any elevation head you have plus friction loss to size it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks