Constant pressure pump ???

Users who are viewing this thread

dan383

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding information about Constant Pressure Pumps from people who have them installed in their homes. I have a shallow well and a jet pump in my basement. The pump is an old 1/2 hp craftsmen and it is loud, slow and embarrassing for me when company hears this thing from upstairs. I was told that a Constant Pressure Pump may be the answer to the loudness and it will increase my general water pressure. I have only spoken to sales people of these pumps and unable to find anyone who actually has one. Can anyone give me a pro or con about these pumps? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

I don't think they make a cp in jet. They are only available in submersible that I know of.

They haven't caught on too well from what I hear. I sold one and that was it. I wasn't all that impressed.

If you buy a good brand 1 hp pump (not plastic) it will be noiseless and will perform much better than that 1/2hp. Then you will have a unit that you can set the pressure up and have better flow in the house.

bob...

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
I'll agree with Bob that a new pump will probably solve alot of your problem. Sears pumps have about the noisiest motors I've ever heard.
I have installed jet pumps with variable frequency drives on them to maintain constant pressure, but I wouldn't recommend it for most people. They're expensive to start with, and you need to install a 3 phase motor on the pump, which isn't exactly an off the shelf item for a jet pump.
Follow Bob's suggestion and also make sure you check the precharge if you have a bladder tank, so the pump doesn't have to cycle more than necessary.
Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
Keep in mind centrifugal pumps are great for sprinkler systems, but they are not used for homes. Jet pumps are what you use for the home.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A constant pressure centrifugal is a terrible waste of energy unless you are using water almost continuously. A straight centrifugal is not good for small systems because you can't get a good match of pressure and flow.

Jet pumps are used because it is not practical to make a small volume pump that generates enough pressure. I put in filter and chlorination systems for people who use lakes and ponds to produce 2000 to 20,000 gallons per day of potable water. I have seen lots of installations where someone has put in a 5 HP centrifugal to get the pressure they need, and they end up with an 80 GPM pump when they really need a 2 HP 30 GPM pump.

It is hard to beat a submersible for quietness and a good balance of pressure and flow.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Bob NH right, I have people call all the time. They will say they want a 2hp centrifugal pump. I ask what they are doing with it and why they think they need a 2hp. I am going to water my lawn and my neighbor has a 2hp. That's a good reason. His neighbor went to Home Depot and bought a 2hp off the shelf. Why, who knows! Then it turns out the neighbor and the caller both have existing sprinkler systems that used to work off the city water. A supply of about 13 gallons per minute. So now they have this 2hp monster that will pump around 80+ gallons per minute but only make a max of 40 psi hooked up to a small tank and a pressure switch, and they can't figure out why the pipes keep melting down and the points keep burning up.

It's all in getting the right advice and equipment in the first place.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks