PEX pipe problems

Users who are viewing this thread

wsalt

Reaction score
I plan to repipe with PEX tubing. What are the problems (if any) with using PEX?

I keep hearing about the tube fittings failing; is this still an issue? If so, how frequently does it happen, and how expensive is it to repair when it does happen?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There have been recalls on some PEX and fittings. If a fitting fails, it could be catastrophic - water could run for a long time (say you were on vacation or even just away for the day at work) and many thousands of gallons could swamp the place. This can happen with any pipe. Pex is much more forgiving with freezing, where CPVC, copper, etc. would likely split. The fittings, though aren't. Depends on how it is run. There are crimp and expansion systems - I prefer the expansion system and have used that in my home. Uponor has a good rep for their pipe and fittings. Often, people will use what they can get most easily locally. Use the search function, you'll find more than you want to on PEX.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I've heard more than 1 incident of mice chewing through pex and causing flooding.
Some of it must taste like cheese.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So we are going to exhume the poor horse from it's well deserved grave and beat the poor thing yet again :rolleyes:

pbaker

Reaction score
I just had my fourth brass or copper PEX fitting crack and burst open. This time, it was in my attic and leaked for about 10 minutes before being cut off. It flooded bedroom, laundry, & started into kitchen when realized. To put it mildly... It is a nightmare.

My house is 9 years old and I have had a different leak starting the 4th year almost every other year now. The fittings seem to be corroded all over the outside and inside... then they just fail. I thought they were ZurnPEX & mailed them the fittings, but they sent them back to me saying they were NIBCO. NIBCO refered me to Chubb Insurance where the kind lady there told me that this was not going to be covered by them. I just sent her another email, but she has not responded.

If anyone has better direction as to whom I can contact for some help, I would certainly appreciate it. I know my mother had a house piped with polybutl. & Dow came and took care of the problem. Does anyone have information on this company stepping up and doing the right thing for their fitting failures?

Paul Baker
South Alabama

Polyresearch

Reaction score
That's one fuzzy looking fitting

Based on your picture its obvious to me that you're experiencing whats commonly referred to as dezincification. I may be able to put you in touch with someone that can help or at least give you some information that may get you moving in the right direction. Feel free to email me directly with your contact info at polyresearch@yahoo.com. I work for a company that specializes in the turnkey repiping of homes, apartments, and commercial structures nationwide so we have been tracking these types of issues very closely. And although we don't have a single family division in your area that could actually repipe your home, I'll still be happy to help out in any way I can.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The frequency is immaterial. One installation could go for decades without a problem and the one next door could have it happen every few years. What IS important is how often it happens to YOU, and usually one time is enough for most people, but it cannot be determined in advance. All you can do is install it and then wait to see what happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks